Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

My laptop is currently having battery problems, it's been a little over 2 years and my battery has been working fine until a few days ago. I've been using the computer for about 10hours, which I usually do and when my battery was low, I plugged it in and the battery light indicator was blinking, so I hovered on the battery icon on my laptop and it said "Plugged In, Not Charging". I unplugged the charger, replugged it in, check the metal thing on the back and there are no problems.

I went on the internet and it said something about taking out the battery for a few seconds, then putting it back. So, I tried that and it worked. Then, after 2 days, it happened again. So, I did the same thing, took out the battery and put it back in. Then my laptop was fully charged (a little faster than normal, I think) so I unplugged the charger and after about 5-10 minutes, the computer just turned off on it's own. I turned it back on, but it was just the black screen with an underscore (_), which is what shows up before the "acer" logo comes up. So, I turned it off by pressing the off button for a few seconds, took out the battery again, then after a number of tries, it started working again.

Do I need to replace my battery? And I don't know if it matters or anything but my laptop is having problems with virus/malware lately, I don't know if that can affect the battery but there really is something wrong with it.

Now it's working again, but it will probably start having problems again later on. What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

2 to 3 years is the life expectancy of most laptop batteries
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

So your saying that I need to replace the battery?

Is that why the battery is acting up?

Edited by Help Me 101, 19 February 2010 - 01:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users