Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cmptr1

cmptr1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

I was following the instructions on this page:

www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009 (I'm assuming this is the virus I have)

I got to step 5 and downloaded the Anti-Malware program. But when I try to open it I get this popup message:

"Application cannot be executed. The file mbam.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?"

This is the same message I get when I try to Run something or open something in the Control Panel. Is there some way to get past this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

Try these directions and see if you get any better results.

First, Download rkill to your desktop.

Double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by these Rogue programs when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate these Rogue Programs. So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the instructions.

Scan for Spyware/Adware

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free version and save it to your desktop.

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
---------------------------
Be sure to re-enable your AV and malware scan tools if they were disabled
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 cmptr1

cmptr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the response. The RKill seemed to work, but when I tried to open the application I got a "Runtime Error" message.

I downloaded the application again (tried renaming it to zztoy.exe but not sure I did it correctly. Not sure how important that is?) and it seemed to progress further, but I got a message telling me to report this error code:

Error Code: 732 (12029, 0)

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

Error 732: Error updating the database or product. Check Internet connectivity.

Check your Proxy settings in Internet Explorer to make sure malware did not alter them. If so, that can affect your ability to browse or download tools required for disinfection:

* Open Internet Explorer > click Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab.
* Click the LAN Settings... button and uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN
or change the settings to the proxy you normally use if you previously reconfigured it.
* Remove any unknown addresses from the Address box. 80 is the default Port so it does not have to be changed.
* Click Ok and then click Ok again.
* Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.
* An example of how to do this with screenshots can be found in steps 3-7 under the section Automated Removal Instructions... in this guide..

Check your Proxy settings in Firefox to make sure malware did not alter them:

* Open Firefox, click Tools > Options > Advanced and click the Network Tab.
* Under the Connection section click on the Settings... button.
* Under Configure Proxies to Access the Internet, check No proxy. This is the default option if you don't use a proxy.
* Click Ok and then click OK again.
* Close Firefox and restart the computer.

For other browsers, please refer to How to configure browser proxy settings.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 cmptr1

cmptr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Ok, I tried opening it again and it now appears to be working. Thanks very much.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

You're welcome.

:thumbsup:
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 cmptr1

cmptr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

While the program was scanning, the window disappeared. I'm not sure if maybe I closed it by accident, but my computer says that the application is still running. Just wondering if it will still notify me when it's finished scanning or if I might have to start all over again.

Ok, it just notified me and re-appeared.

Edited by cmptr1, 19 February 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

At this point you may want to try rebooting into Safe Mode and running the initial scan with MalwareBytes. Malwarebytes is designed to be at "full power" in normal mode but in your case, it may be just as well to get started in safe mode and do the initial scan. Once that has completed and you remove whatever malwarebytes finds, reboot into normal mode and once again update malwarebytes and rescan. Post both logs here when you have completed.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#9 cmptr1

cmptr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

Just to provide an update, I ran the full scan and it identified several infected objects which were then supposedly removed. However, I've found that the virus is still there the next time I log in. There are several accounts on this computer, and they all seem to have the virus too. I've run the scan on them too, but it seems the virus is still there with the next log in.

Should I still proceed with the safe mode/normal mode re-scans?

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

I would still proceed with the initial scan in Safe Mode, clean out whatever Malwarebytes finds, reboot in normal mode and once again rescan.

When Malwarebytes is finished, clean whatever it says it detected then I would like you to run Dr. Web.

Please download Dr.Web CureIt, the free version & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
  • (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#11 cmptr1

cmptr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

Our computer can no longer connect to the internet, even after I've run the RKill. I'm assuming this is a virus effect. I guess I can still do the safe mode scan though.

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

Check your Proxy settings in Internet Explorer to make sure malware did not alter them. If so, that can affect your ability to browse or download tools required for disinfection:

* Open Internet Explorer > click Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab.
* Click the LAN Settings... button and uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN
or change the settings to the proxy you normally use if you previously reconfigured it.
* Remove any unknown addresses from the Address box. 80 is the default Port so it does not have to be changed.
* Click Ok and then click Ok again.
* Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.
* An example of how to do this with screenshots can be found in steps 3-7 under the section Automated Removal Instructions... in this guide..

Check your Proxy settings in Firefox to make sure malware did not alter them:

* Open Firefox, click Tools > Options > Advanced and click the Network Tab.
* Under the Connection section click on the Settings... button.
* Under Configure Proxies to Access the Internet, check No proxy. This is the default option if you don't use a proxy.
* Click Ok and then click OK again.
* Close Firefox and restart the computer.

For other browsers, please refer to How to configure browser proxy settings.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#13 cmptr1

cmptr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

I use Firefox, but I checked IE too. For FF, the "No Proxy" was already checked, so I don't think there was any altering there. For IE, I unchecked "Use a proxy server for your LAN" and restarted, but it didn't seem to do anything. For "Remove any unknown addresses from the Address box", is that referring to the addresses in the IE browser window? If so, I didn't notice any unknown addresses.

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

You may want to try resetting both TCP/IP and Winsock on your computer to help with your troubles.
To successfully complete this, you will need to be at a command prompt.
Click on Start then Run. In the Run box type CMD and press enter.
You will now see a black window with one line of text and a blinking cursor.

You will next type:
  • netsh int ip reset tcp.log
This will reset your TCP/IP settings.

Next you will reset Winsock:

You will type:
  • netsh winsock reset sock.log
When the Winsock is finished you will be directed to restart your computer. Type exit in the window and press enter.

From here you will do a normal restart on your computer and retest your network connection.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#15 cmptr1

cmptr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:45 AM

First off, thanks so much for that last advice, as we can connect to the internet again.

Here's the contents of the Dr. Web report:

EoXX.exe;C:\DOCUME~1\NATBUR~1.001\LOCALS~1\Temp;Trojan.Siggen.64262;Deleted.;
T-3545427-put little love in your hear (high bitrate).mp3;C:\Documents and Settings\Emily\My Documents\LimeWire\Incomplete;Trojan.WMALoader;Cured.;
T-3545425-blade runner.mp3;C:\Documents and Settings\Nat.BURGESS.001\Incomplete;Trojan.WMALoader;Cured.;
eH73f6eb49V03008f35002Rda01b272102T3888f6fdQ000002c0901806F0016000aJ0b000601l0409Kc6bca5973181[1];C:\Documents and Settings\Nat.BURGESS.001\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\L5NM219U;Trojan.Siggen.64262;Deleted.;
Dc29.mp3;C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3503174744-1538088001-3962462464-1009;Trojan.WMALoader;Cured.;
Dc32.wma;C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3503174744-1538088001-3962462464-1009;Trojan.WMALoader;Cured.;
Dc77.mp3;C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3503174744-1538088001-3962462464-1009;Trojan.WMALoader;Cured.;
Dc3.exe;C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3503174744-1538088001-3962462464-1017;Trojan.DownLoad.46849;Deleted.;
Dc4.exe;C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3503174744-1538088001-3962462464-1017;Trojan.DownLoad.46849;Deleted.;
A0159244.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP1726;Trojan.DownLoad.46849;Deleted.;
A0159245.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP1726;Trojan.DownLoad.46849;Deleted.;

After rebooting, the virus icon still appears to be on the task bar; a red shield with an "X" through it. Not sure if it's significant, but the virus icon seems much less active now (I noticed this before running the Dr. Web scan). It used to cause constant popups, but now just seems to cause one popup upon logging in and that's it. I'm assuming though that ideally the icon should be completely gone.

Edited by cmptr1, 27 February 2010 - 03:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users