Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2010 Problems: "Starting Microsoft Office Click-to-Run" & Unattractive DOCX icons for Word documents.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

I recently installed the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta, but this morning its intro screen stays stuck at "Starting Microsoft Office Click-to-Run." Googling it resulted in only two threads, neither of them having the answer.

I'm back to using Office 2007, by simply setting my Word and Excel documents to open by Office 2007 by default, but now my Word and Excel icons have become much less pretty, such as my Word icons becoming a very plain "DOCX" icon instead of the normal "blue W" icon. I checked, and the file types are still regular Word documents. Is there a way to get the pretty icons back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

Regarding changing the icon:
Go to either My Computer or Windows Explorer.
Click Tools, Folder Options, File Types tab.
Scroll down to the DOCX file type (file types are in alphabetical order), click on it one time to highlight it.
Click the Advanced button.
The "Edit File Type" screen appears.
There is a Change Icon button in the top right area.
Click the Change Icon button.
You should have other icon choices to pick from.

Side note: If you don't like any of those icons, you can always hit the Browse button,
and browse to where other icons are, (you can assign any icon to any file type that you want, it is a matter of personal preference).
Icons are found in .exe files (executables), some (not all) .dll (dynamic link library) files, and .ico files.
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

A Gaia girl!=)

Thanks for the info! I found the solution somewhere else, but that works too!

#4 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

Yep, that is one of my Gaia avi's :thumbsup:

Glad you got your answer :flowers:
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users