Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hello there,

I have clients computer which is giving me the above error. I have a kept a windows CD and entered Repair mode, there it says "Setup didnt find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" and also long message about hardware related.

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/43630/

I have gone through the above links but not sure which set up should I follow. I planning to make a CD and copy the Ntldr file and use it as bootable.

Please anyone can walk me through this process.

Thanks,
sreez

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

I'm new so please forgive me if this doesn't post right. Try this and see if it is easier to understand.

If you have Windows CD...

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
2. Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
Youre going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the R key to enter the recovery console:

Posted Image

3. After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number 1").
Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

Posted Image

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair any of the issues I noted in the opening of this guide.
I will introduce them here, and then show the results graphically in the next six steps.
NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
These commands are as follows:

CD..
ATTRIB -H C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -R C:\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which searches for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
A.) Every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT as OS Load Option when the rebuild process is finalizing.
B.) If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intels XD or AMDs NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option.
For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
Here is your computer screen:

Posted Image

5. Following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, its still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, in that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit:

CHKDSK /R

6. This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit Y, then Enter to confirm your decision:

FIXBOOT

7. Its time to reboot your PC by typing
EXIT
and pressing Enter.

With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows XP as if your various DLL, Hive, EXE and NTLDR errors never existed.

2. If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow instructions from Step #3 above.

Thanks To Broni For The Instructions

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

Something else you might try: Ntldr Is Missing Fix, Romeo29 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/170057/ntldr-is-missing/

The TinyEmpire link should also work.

Louis

#4 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hello rshaffer61,

First I have to say welcome to BC :inlove: and your first post was an excellent reply to my question :thumbsup: I am really surprise to see your well explained reply to it along with screen shots, did you followed these steps :flowers:

Hamluis thanks for the nice links too.

Well my first thing to say again is that, after I press the "R" to enter the recovery console, It gives me message saying that "Setup didnt find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" and also long message about hardware related.

So I cant enter your step 3. Same applies to Hamlus links too :trumpet: Should I get the download of recovery console, I think that also gives me same error as it saying there is no harddisk in there.

Anyways let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Sreez

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

I guess I don't ever recall seeing that message when using the Recovery Console, only when trying to do an install.

In any case...I would attach the drive as a secondary drive on another system. If it's a PATA drive, ensure that the jumpers match up with whatever is already on the second system. Cable select is the default setting on newer drives, but older PATA drives may be configured as Master by users. In any case, check the jumper setting if the drive is PATA.

If the file system/partition appear properly on that system...and you can actually access any files from the second system...then it's something with the original system.

If the file system appears as RAW...or the partition appears as unallocated space...then you have a file system or hard drive problem which prevents XP from properly reading the disk.

If the drive is not recognized at all on the second system in Disk Management...you probably have a dead drive.

Louis

#6 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hello Hamlus,

Sorry I forgot to say that its a laptop that we are trying to fix. So I cant remove the harddrive from it !!

#7 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

You should still be able to remove the hard drive from the laptop but you may need either a USB case for the drive or an adapter to convert it to allow you to connect to a PC as a slave.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

What Baloo said :thumbsup:.

Hard drives and RAM are the two most common components of a laptop...which are designed to be easily removed/replaced.

If it's a SATA drive, I don't believe you need do anything other than connect it to an appropriate SATA cable on the 2d system.

Louis

#9 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

Ok guys I will give a try and let you know :thumbsup:

#10 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

Thank you for your reply and i would ask now if you have been in the bios to check and see if the HD is indeed recognized as a boot device?
More important is if the drive is even seen by the bios.

[list]
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button. Your laptop may need F2 or ESC. Check the screen on how to enter BIOS, CMOS or Setup.
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
The first screen depending on which bios you have will show all installed drives in the system.
If not look for the General Area and then..
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter

Please let us know what your results are.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 February 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#11 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hello Louis,

I removed the harddrive. Well im not sure if its SATA as it have plug or sockets to attach power and data smaller then the SATA cables. So I am not sure if I any converters to add to other system. :thumbsup:

@rshaffer61... Yes I entered BIOS and was suprised to see that the Harddrive was not in the Boot options. So do you think its the harddrive that is gone now! :flowers:

Let me know cheers.

sreez

#12 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Here is a way to distinguish the difference between sata and ide.

Attached Files

#13 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hello mate,

Please check the laptop harddrive pic and the Harddrive pic itself.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And can you suggest me what kind of cables go into this as the normal were two big for them and pins were different too :thumbsup:

Thanks,
sreez

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

What is the laptop manufacturer and model?

Louis

#15 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

Its HP Pavillion dv1000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users