Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is involved!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:07 AM

I have a neighbor and friend that I would like to share my connection with. I have taken my laptop over to their house and get decent reception. What I want to do is to hook another wireless modem to mine to send the signal to them, I would like to keep my system separate. I am pretty sure will I have to go through a complete setup of mine to allow theirs to hook into my modem. I am setup WAPA2 with password which was done quite awhile back, I have since reloaded my system and since everything worked never bothered to redo my modem. I am hoping this is a fairly easy setup as I only have a very short time period to do it, I have company this weekend and am going away next week!

Added note: I have since added another computer hard wired to my modem without doing anything to my modem, it is hard wired but needed no setup on the network. So now after thinking about it I should be able to plug their modem into my modem and just setup their wireless to transmit to them. Sorry for the rambling but I need to do this today!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 19 February 2010 - 06:28 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

I believe what you are talking about is kinda illegal.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

Never thought of that, what is the difference in me giving them my password to get into my modem ot hooking theirs to mine? If it is not right to do it with the hookup I won't, i do not use file sharing so if that is the case I will just let them use mine.

Phil

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

Most ISP's do not allow redistribution of the connection they provide to you. You need to look at your agreement or the Acceptable Use Policy usually posted on the ISP's website. Some ISP's will make exceptions (out here in Rural Oregon anyway) if they cannot serve the second party (I get a fair bit of business setting up this kind of connection on referrals from a couple of local wireless ISPs).

If you are able to proceed, the simplest way I have found in your situation is to use a Ruckus MM2211-DZ to link to your wireless and provide a local "repeater" signal with it's own SSID and security. They are available online from a few different suppliers for under $100. It serves as their router, and supports one wired as well as wireless clients, so they don't need anything else.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

Looks like the best thing is to just let them onto my net, like I noted earlier I do not having any file or print sharing. Just trying to do the good Samaritan thing, they both work but don't have much.

Thanks for the proper advice!

Phil

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

I'm not saying not to do it. lol But unless you are planning on running a cable, there isn't much point in adding another wireless signal. If yours reaches, just set up a good WPA2 pass phrase(a 5 - 6 word sentence) and let them connect to yours. If they need to buy wireless cards I recommend the USB wired style. They can be moved around to get a good signal. Just make sure whichever they buy is 2.0.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users