Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows failed to start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uprising

uprising

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:21 AM

Hi everyone, I really hope someone call help me out with this...

A couple of days ago I tured on my computer and got this message;

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language and then click next.
3. Click 'repair your computer.'

If you do not have this disc contact your system manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\mdja.sys
Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt.

I put the CD in, nothing happened on restart. On another forum someone told me I needed to change the boot sequence, so I did that. What looks to be the CD is at the top. So I booted again but it just went back to the same old 'windows failed' message. Safe mode doesn't work. I don't know what else I'm meant to do. I have the disc in, it just won't acknowledge it. On another forum someone suggested I take my hard drive out and put it in another computer? I really don't think I could do that. Well the only other computer in the house is my sister's laptop, but I don't really want to be messing with things like that because I'm worried I'd mess something up.

I'm just wondering is there any other way I can get it to log in? I'm at my wit's end here.

I'd be very grateful for any reponses, thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

This is really making the rounds lately
As suggested in the other forum, if you can access your recovery partition, that would be your best bet
You don't need ERD Commander, there are other free choices, but you need to be able to boot the CD
After you set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS,you need to be sure and select Exit and Save Changes
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 uprising

uprising
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

I tried selecting 'save changes' and it didn't change anything. lol, I'm out of ideas.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Your computer sees no bootable CD? Any bootable CD?
What is the make and model of your computer?

Please walk me through how you are accessing the BIOS and changing the boot order
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 uprising

uprising
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

Well I put the CD, restart the computer and it doesn't do anything differently, it's just the same 'windows failed' message. Nothing to do with the CD comes up.

I'm not sure if I've successfully changed the boot sequence or not. I asked on another forum and they said what I had done sounded right but I'm not sure..

I press Delete to get into setup, there's something called Standard Cmos Setup and it looks like this:

Primary IDE Master: Hard Disk
Primary IDE Slave: Not detected
Secondary IDE Master: ATAPI CDRom
Secondary IDE Slave: Not detected
S-ATA 1: Not detected
S-ATA 2: Not detected

IDE Busmaster: Enabled
Drive A: 1.44 mb 3 1/2"

Originally I thought maybe I was meant to do something here although I can see no way of changing the order or anything, so I figured I best leave it alone.

So I went into Advanced Setup instead. It's probably not neccessary for me to write down every little thing it says but I thought I'd be thorough.

Thermal management: Enabled
TM status: TM1
Limit CPUIDMaxVal: Disabled
Intel XD Bit: Disabled
Quick power on self test: Enabled
Boot up on numlock: On
APIC mode: Enabled
1st boot device: LITE-ONDVDRW LH-18
2nd boot device: WDC WD800BB-00JKC0
3rd boot device: 1st floppy drive
Hard disk drives: Press enter
CD/DVD drives: Press enter
Boot other device: Yes

I changed the 1st boot device to that one because it was the only thing I thought might be the CD.

I'm not sure if any of this helped...

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

1st boot device: LITE-ONDVDRW LH-18
Yes, this is the proper selection
Double-check to make sure it is still selected

What is the make and model of your computer?
Is this a retail windows CD or did this come with your computer?
Mark
Posted Image

#7 batman03

batman03

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:12 AM

Hello uprising,

Can you tell us how did you solve your probleme please?
Best regards

Batman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users