Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pleaserobme.com

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

Frank Groeneveld, a computer science student in the Netherlands, was fast asleep not long ago when a burglar tried to enter his home.

Groeneveld, 22, managed to scare off the intruder but was left wondering: What if I wasn't home?

Groeneveld returned to the idea recently when he found himself inundated by status updates on Twitter from users broadcasting their location. In most cases, they were inadvertently advertising the fact that their home was likely unattended and vulnerable to a burglary.

It led him and two friends to launch a Web site this week provocatively called PleaseRobMe.com, a mashup of users' content from Twitter, the San Francisco microblogging service, and FourSquare, a site in which users share their location.

While little more than a gag, PleaseRobMe raises serious questions about the potential ills associated with publicizing information online, particularly a user's whereabouts.

"We're not trying to get people robbed, but helping them not to get robbed," said Groeneveld. "We're just presenting this information in a more obvious way. And that's our point: Everyone can see this on Twitter."

PleaseRobMe reformats the information that users make public on FourSquare to read like an alert to a would-be burglar, stating that a user "left home and checked in 12 minutes ago," followed by the user's update: "I'm at San Francisco International Airport."

Complete article : PleaseRobMe.com posts when you're not at home Ryan Kim, Chronicle Staff Writer Thursday, February 18, 2010

More information on this:
http://www.tonic.com/article/please-rob-be...sk-geolocation/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-10454981-36.html
http://www.informationweek.com/news/servic...cleID=222900776
http://consumerist.com/2010/02/pleaserobme...o-one-home.html
http://www.pleaserobme.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

Scary stuff. It'll shock people and hopefully stop people advertising to the world where they are.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

That's why I never tell anyone where I am, not even myself! :thumbsup:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

The good side of this is that if anyone goes missing the police have an online record of where they were last seen possibly and go from there.

But thats about it.

#5 therock247uk

therock247uk

Malware Killer

• Malware Response Team
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

Scary indeed hopefully this will make people think twice before saying stuff on soical sites.

#6 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

This is one of the reasons that I don't like social networking sites

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

This is one of the reasons that I don't like social networking sites

Its not the sites fault that people do this, its the people's own ignorance of the ramifications of doing such things.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

you know many people wonder why Im so secretive online-I don't give out my full name to anyone really, rarely give out my first, im not active on any of these "blogging" sites. Because quite frankly, while I enjoy getting online and visiting with other people and helping them with computer issues, as well as getting help and meeting people in chat, etc. Its not my business who they are or where theyre at and is not theres who I am and where Im at-if local friends want to know where Im at they have my cell number for a reason.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Its not the sites fault that people do this, its the people's own ignorance of the ramifications of doing such things.

right i know but the fact that you could even by accident tell someone that you are not home could lead to someone robbing you worries me and i just find that I have no reason for anyone to be able to find me and know my name. Serves no purpose to me but might to other people.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

Where I'm at is my business and I will keep it that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users