Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 wont boot after first boot.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

I am trying to install Windows 7 onto my AsRock Wolfdale 1333-D667 R.20/Intel E2610/Nvidia Geforce 8500gt computer. The installer itself runs fine. After the installer completes Windows boots up, and the screens that ask you what username/password you want, and about your network and etc. all display PERFECT. After I complete all of these steps, it says Setup is finalizing (or finishing, I can't remember) Installation. The computer restarts, and then will not boot windows. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times. On some installations (all using the same geniune windows 7 ultimate disc), it will say Starting Windows, and then the comptuer will restart, and on other installations it won't say anything and I will just have a blinking "-" when it tries to boot.

Any help is gladly appretiated.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Have you tried a Startup Repair using your Windows DVD as described here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ns-in-Windows-7

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hey thanks for the response. Yes I have tried multiple times to use Startup Repair. It says "No Problems Found" and basically that it can't do more. I just tried again to boot startup repair, and I got the BSOD saying The BIOS in this system is not FUlly ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for an updated BIOS.

I have the latest BIOS from AsRock?

Thanks
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

It appears that its more of a hardware problem.

ASRock site says that your motherboard BIOS is ACPI compliant. Your motherboard is Vista ready. Basically if you can install Vista, you can also install Windows 7 on it too.

Warning : Making improper changes to BIOS may make your system unbootable. Note down older settings first.
Possibly your BIOS is corrupt. Go into your BIOS. Note down all the settings on a piece of paper. If you have a camera you can take pictures of each screen. Then load failsafe defaults, save settings and reboot. Go again in BIOS, make most common settings changes like boot order, disable floppy etc etc. Now check if you can boot properly.

#5 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

everything i have is set default, except my boot order but that is easy to change. I dont see load failsafe defaults. All I see that could possibly pertain to that, is Load Optimal Defaults. I wont do anything until you tell me if this is correct, or if I am wrong in making the assumption that since I havent changed anything besdies boot order, I dont need to write everything down
\

Thanks again for your continued help!
Posted Image

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

Usually both AMI and Awards BIOS have both failsafe and optimal defaults options. Just checked your computer manual, the BIOS has only load optimal defaults. Yes you can use this option. The basic idea is if some entries have got corrupt and causing BIOS to not show ACPI compliance then we can clear it out and load all defaults. Did you format the hard disk prior to installing Windows 7?

#7 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

I believe I deleted the partitions on the drive, and used Windows 7 installer to format the drive. Should I go ahead and Load Optimal Defaults, and do I need to write anything down if I use all defaults?
Posted Image

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

Its a precautionary measure to note down important settings. It will take 5 minutes. After that you can load optimal defaults and check it it goes ok.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

How clean is the inside of your case?

#10 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

The inside of my computer is totally clean, I blow it out with compressed air every 3 months or so, with the last blow out being this month. I will note down the settings, and Load Optimal Defaults...and post back what has happened.

Thanks
Posted Image

#11 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

Okay I wrote everything down, and Loaded Optimal Settings...Same problem. It will not boot and I get the BSOD with the same message when I trry to go into startup repair.

Anything else I can try?
Posted Image

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:56 AM

Have you tried flashing the BIOS to the most recent one?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

Try stripping down the components to just the memory and hard drive
Even disconnect the USB headers and see if it boots

I'll move this to I. Hardware
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

Worth A Look.

Did you receive the instructions referenced...and follow same?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#15 JRockZ

JRockZ

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

I agree with garmanma run with as little hard ware connected as possible,, make sure you only have a single stick of ram installed and make sure its in the mem1 slot,, try a diffrent memory module if it still BSOd's on you,,, also make sure to pull the battery and clear the cmos with the jumper just to be sure your bios is set to defaults. I have an older Quantum Fireball hard drive that does this same thing to me everytime, Xp installs on it just fine but cant get 7 to go onto it Possibly its just to old and slow or something like that LOL. If you have reduced down to just the hard drive and one stick of ram and still have this problem it could possibly be as said earlier a corupt bios or a bad motherboard even.
JRockZ
EDIT: I just thought of something eles and that could be your video card as i know a friend who had a similar issue,, he had to use a diffrent card to get 7 installed then he downlaoded and installed the newest drivers for his Nvidia card and then swapped the cards out and successfully booted finally after that.

Edited by JRockZ, 23 February 2010 - 11:26 AM.

JRkZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users