Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage and computer slowdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anuolf

Anuolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

So, I ended up getting caught by the Security Essentials 2010 virus. Ran MalwareBytes and it cleared out a big mess of crap. Avast! Also caught it and blocked the rootkits.

Right after getting it all cleared up I noticed my computer was still acting extremely funny. I open up the Task Manager to see how many processes were running and noticed that my CPU usage was at 100%. Normally it'll fluctuate and dip back down to 0-45%. This time, I noticed it was running at 100% constantly. Even after I disabled all my startup processes.

I even tried a system restore to a point last week just to be cautious. This turned up to be a whole new issue. After the XP loading screen it would turn to black and a BSOD popped up with a stop error. It was a Bad_Pool_Header 0x00000019. The parameters weren't always the same either [in the ( )'s].

System specs:
Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2.01 GHz
1 GB of RAM

I can provide a HijackThis log upon request.

Edited by Pandy, 18 February 2010 - 09:29 PM.
Moved from Windows XP Home and Pro ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anuolf

Anuolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

I'm not infected, at least as far as I'm aware. MalwareBytes and Avast have not picked any other threats up since the removal of the Security Essentials 2010 virus. All this is from after the removal, and cleaning out of known malware threats. This is a problem that seems more like data corruption or memory leaks than malware.

Actions taken thus far to remedy this problem:
MalwareBytes Full Scan
Avast! full scan
Checkdisk scan
System restore
Defrag
CCleaner

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hello,

You mentioned rootkits. I suspect your issues are caused by remnants of the infection. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you are able to produce at least some of the logs, please post the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users