Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall XP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shogun697

shogun697

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

Hi, A few weeks ago my friend asked me to have a look at his computer which was giving problems.I’m after spending a lot of time on it and its still giving a lot of problems.Such as been very slow to open any programs.There is very little on the C and D drive The anti vius is showing the all clear.I used Ccleaner and spyware..There was the error” your system is running with too little virtual memory".I went into task manager and saw that the program taking must was IE which was about 80000 which I thought is ok..I’m at a loss and since my friend does’nt have any photos,files etc to be saving I’m thinking about uninstalling XP and reinstalling.I have not done it before but this is giving me the chance to try.I have read a lot on how to do it.But am just looking for any last min tips are things to be carefull about. Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

How much RAM is on the system?

#3 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

Thanks xbindx I'm at work so will check later about the ram?There is very little saved on his computer so I'm thinking there should be enough ram.Again thanks for the help

#4 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Just i would be careful to make sure that you completly update windows afterword and also make sure you backup the files otherwise the will most likly be deleted.
also look here...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/157673/how_...windows_xp.html
I do reinstals all the time so they are easy for me but if this is the first time you do one then it is not so easy but good luck let me know if you have any questions.
also the ram issue should be solved with the reinstall if it is not then you have to go into the XP settings and increase the paging file but that is only if the reinstal doesnt work.

Edited by matt3, 18 February 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#5 shogun697

shogun697
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Thanks matt will check out that link.Wont be doing the reinstall for a few days because I'm working.So i maybe be back with a few questions.about the updates I know i have to put in the services packs.When I have it reinstalled how do I just pick the updates i need surely I dont need to update with all mircosoft updates for xp? thanks again

#6 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

When I have it reinstalled how do I just pick the updates i need surely I dont need to update with all mircosoft updates for xp? thanks again

I dont completly understand what you are saying you do have to put in all of the service packs and every single update that is on Microsoft's site they help with the security of Windows.(You dont have to but i highly recomend it) And to pick what updates to install go to...
www.update.microsoft.com
and select custom so that after the scan for what updates you need you just put a check by the ones that you want to install. I have XP version 1.0 on my install CD so everytime i go to reinstall i have to update every update from the day it came out. :thumbsup:
best of luck matt

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:48 AM

What are the system specs of your friends computer?

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

problems.Such as been very slow to open any programs.There is very little on the C and D drive The anti vius is showing the all clear.I used Ccleaner and spyware..There was the error” your system is running with too little virtual memory".I went into task manager and saw that the program taking must was IE which was about 80000 which I thought is ok

Low virtual memory can be solved by adding RAM, so before you go about reinstalling Windows, could you please list the system specs?

#9 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

You could also before reinstalling go to...
http://www.crucial.com/
and see what type of ram you have and see if you want to upgrade it or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users