Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hit F6 to install third party SCSI RAID drivers question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hi :cool: ;

I recently hit a snag when I restarted my pc after it bsod as I was running a Prevx scan. It would not boot and I had an error saying that Windows cannot find....\WINDOWS\System32\Config\System error saying I can attempt to repair the corrupted file through running a repair using the "R" function...something like that.....

Fact is I cannot run an "R" on that pc since I only slipstreamed the VIA driver into a custom installation and I do not have a floppy drive to use for "hit F6 to install third party SCSI RAID drivers..." What a drag.... :inlove:

A good thing I have an image back-up and restored my partition image. :thumbsup:

Along this line may I ask,

Is there a way to install a third party SCSI RAID driver by not using a floppy but a USB when hitting the F6? Is there a way to install it other than a floppy drive or slipstreaming? :flowers:

Is via a USB possble? If so, how can it be done? :trumpet:

The original Windows XP cd does not have the drivers in it th reason for slipstreaming it to a custom installation disc. Can't run an "R" if Windows cannot see the drive....I get an:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer..etc..etc..Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3."

Thank you and looking forward to some tips about it.

Regards! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

It can be done with a USB floppy drive. I understand that your BIOS will need to support USB/floppy emulation, but I think most modern BIOS's do.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

I guess that I don't understand.

The only time that RAID drivers even become necessary to installl...is when a clean install is being attempted.

The Recovery Console can only be used on an existing XP install...said install obviously already is seen by Windows.

As for the error you reported...see Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

Louis

#4 voltronDefender

voltronDefender
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hi guys :inlove: ;

Hi Budapest:

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a USB floppy. I was thinking more of a flash drive....(since we can now do a Windows install via usb --boot to usb)

Thanks! :cool:

---

Hi hamluis :) ;

"The only time that RAID drivers even become necessary to installl...is when a clean install is being attempted."

-- That's what bugging me :flowers: . I know that it's like that but I assumed I had to reinstall the drivers since I got the error

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer..etc..etc..Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3."

when running the Recovery console.:-( Windows should have recognized the drive in the first place since I have already have formattd it with Windows...correct?( I am getting a bit confused by the errors now..lol :thumbsup: )

"As for the error you reported...see Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.""]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545."[/url]

--Thanks for the link :P .

I had to to an image restore to get back my setup. Good thing I have ATI 11.

How about the installing of SCSI drivers via a flash drive other than a floppy/usb floppy drive...? Can it be done Louis? :trumpet:

Thank you! Will get back to you on this! :)

Regards! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users