Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BenYounger

BenYounger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A65-S126, w/256mb. after reading the memory tutorial, I ordered a 1GB PC2700 DDR 200PIN 333MHZ SODIMM stick online after researching my units info. When opened the back, there was only one slot for memory, it being empty. I have no clue where the factory installed 256mb memory is. My question is if I install the 1gb stick, is it going to run at the slower speed of the 256mb that is in the machine somewhere, or will it perform at the faster rate?

I did read the memory tutorial on this site, but not sure if to install the 1gb, or to send it back for another 256mb.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

# Maximum Memory: 1280MB
# Slots: 1 (1 bank of 1)
# Standard Memory: 256, 512, or 768MB (256MB non-removable)

This information is directly from Crucial.com. As you can see, the original 256MB is non-removable.

With that being said, you should be just fine installing your 1GB stick in the open slot and rebooting.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 BenYounger

BenYounger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

Thank you. I even read reviews on it from PC Mag. and other sites from back in the day. The information contradicted each other. The machine is very slow, but scans clean with several AV's. It needs a speed improvement badly, or I need more patience. This is my last best chance before buying a new laptop. I looked at new machines and am really confused about what brand is reliable. Everyone has their fav and everything else is junk, from what I read.

Again, thanks for the assist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users