Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost all desktop icons & Start menu & Taskbar at bottom

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 davealex1

davealex1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

I have a huge problem that was caused by me trying to delete what I thought were viruses. I went into my "processes running" in the windows task manager and deleted (End Process) what I thought were viruses. I was wrong. I deleted all of my desktop icons and the toolbar on the bottom that includes my "start" icon. I can not figure out how to get to the system restore wizard to get it back to where it was before I screwed it up. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:07 AM

right click on the taskbar, click tool bar and anything else that might bring them back up for you. What shortcuts are remaining on the desktop?
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:09 AM

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and from the Task Manager select "New Task".
Type in "CMD" without qoutes and click ok.
From the Command Prompt type the following:

1. <c:\> is already displayed, if not type "cd\" and hit enter
2.cd c:\windows\system32\restore and hit enter again
3.rstrui and hit enter
Posted Image

#4 davealex1

davealex1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the replies! I was able to get to system restore and I restored back to a time before I messed up, but it did not fix my problem. Need ideas on how to fix this. Thanks for your help

#5 davealex1

davealex1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

Thank you for helping me get back to the restore feature on my computer, but unfortunately, it did not restore the computer to it's previous condition. This is a detailed account of what happened:

I had just installed the new norton anti virus program because of a tremendous amount of pop ups and their ability to come back after being deleted. When norton had finished it's first run, it said there were 800+ files that were at risk, but when I went to delete them, only 8 or so could be deleted. I was not happy about that and soon after running norton, a few more pop ups got in. I then went to processes running and ended the about 12 tasks that I thought were spyware. They were not. They were the icons for my desktop and the task bar on the bottom that includes my start button. I have tried several things, booting and restarting the computer, several restores and a few other things that I can't remember. Can you tell me what I should do? Should I gut this fricking computer and sell it for scrap metal? Please advise.

Thanks

#6 davealex1

davealex1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:58 AM

right click on the taskbar, click tool bar and anything else that might bring them back up for you. What shortcuts are remaining on the desktop?

none of them

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:16 PM

kellys-korner
Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar
#195, on the Right
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 davealex1

davealex1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:38 PM

OK, here's what I have tried so far (all unsuccessful) ...
- system restore
- kellys-korner #195 -- it asked for the XP Pro disk -- I have Home Edition XP on my computer not Pro !
- from task manager > new task > explorer.exe ... it says it cannot find windows explorer ?!!?
- from task manager > new task > control ... it says it cannot find my control panel ?!!? (I was going to check my taskbar properties, but couldn't get to control panel)
- I ran sfc / scannow --- took a long time to run, then quit and did nothing after it had finished

Still no start menu, no taskbar, and no desktop icons

More ideas ?!!?

Edited by davealex1, 13 September 2005 - 11:46 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:12 AM

They are facing a similar problem here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13057

Another suggestion was made by Ivee in Post #7 this morning. The original poster has not replied yet but its worth a look.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

They resolved the issue at the other site. The problem was due to Visual IP Insight software related to SBC's DSL.

coolpro21 wrote:

Having worked for Dell technical support for some time, I have seen similar situations as this. It is usually related to a piece of software that is installed when you install the SBC setup software. If you can boot into safe mode, go into add/remove programs, locate and uninstall a piece of software call "Visual IP Insight" this may fix the issue. You are not bound to installing SBC's setup disk. If this fixes your issue, see if you can still get online. If you can't get online call SBC and demand that they walk you through setting up your internet connection manually. These setup disks are usually just a way to try to keep customers from asking for help setting up their internet connection. This problem is most likely purely sofware related. On Dell machines this software causes blue screen errors, but may act differently on a different manufacturer's PC. It's worth a shot. You may also consider trashing Norton and going with TrendMicro Internet Security 2005. Don't think about McAfee either. It's a nightmare to uninstall if you don't know what you're doing.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.ph...pic=13057&st=20
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 davealex1

davealex1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:52 PM

I'm Back ... I got the Windows disk. I was going to try to repair to reinstall Windows. The first time I put the disk in it said backing up personal data, but then nothing happened. The second time I put it in, it said nothing. It does not give me any instructions to what is in the drive. So when I go to reload the system, it does not say anything on the screen when I put the windows cd in... what command can I use to make the cd do what I want.

#12 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

You need to set the BIOS to boot from the XP cd, usually tap delete at boot.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#13 kmzpub

kmzpub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

Greetings,

It might happen so that some valueable files are erased. You however still can restore them using data recovery tools, such as Active@ Undelete or Uneraser (DOS). They never failed me before and really worked in a simmilar situation. Try it out.

http://www.active-undelete.com/

http://www.uneraser.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users