Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn not turn all the way ON sometimes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Saraaahh

Saraaahh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

:thumbsup:

I need serious help. I got to school online and am in a really hard class. Now, my computer is flaking out on me. I like to turn my computer off when I am not using it because periodically the computer sounds loud like I am doing twenty things at once when I am not even using it. Then my computer gets quiet again.

I have XP Home Edition and it doesn't turn all the way on sometimes. In these instances, all the lights that are supposed to be lit on the tower are, but the monitor doesn't turn on. I have to hold the power button in until the tower turns off, I wait about thirty seconds then turn on the power again. It is like Russian Roulette, sometimes it works, sometimes I have to do this again.

It has gotten slower too, my computer is so freakin slow, and it just froze on me for a moment. I am not sure this next piece of information will have anything to do with this but last week I had ran and downloaded the MS Essentials program for viruses and spywares. It said I had Win32/Induc.A, and it said it was a virus. All the files listed below it I deleted even from recycle bin so I thought it was gone. I looked up information about the Induc.A and it said it attaches to Delphi files if you have them and copy files and rename them as well, which I did a search and found no delphi files. Then the MS Support Page said that if none, it will just bounce around your system in a richochet style.

I will check in later, to see if I been hooked. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

<<I got to school online and am in a really hard class.>>

It took my feeble brain...a few minutes to realize that should read "I go to school online" :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Have you seen http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/T...Win32%2FInduc.A ?

Did you follow the suggestion to run a scan with either product listed?

What AV program is installed on your system?

Do you think that your system is infected now?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2010 - 07:55 PM.

#3 Saraaahh

Saraaahh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

System manufacturer and model? emachines T6534

Have you seen Microsoft Summary Info"]MS Info?[/url] - The link did not take me to where you wanted me to go...and I tried to google "Microsoft Summary Info" but there were so many things that were close but not exactly the words you used, so I did not know what to do...?

and again with the: Did you follow the suggestion to run a scan with either product listed?

What AV program is installed on your system? Avira Antivir Personal - Free Antivirus and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Do you think that your system is infected now? I just got done running Microsoft Security Essentials and there was nothing found on my system. I think Microsoft Security turned off my Spybot Search & Destroy and Avira AV that I usually use. I just downloaded MS Security Essentials the other days as my computer is acting up by opening and closing windows, freezing, etc.

Thank you for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

I corrected the link, thanks :thumbsup:.

If Microsoft Essentials is an AV program...then you should not run it and Avira Free. I suggest uninstalling one of those (usuing Add/Remove Programs), your preference as to which one.

Rather than use Spybot, I would also suggest that you use the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware! - http://www.superantispyware.com/ .

Sooo...let's assume that you are not infected.

Your system, http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6534.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on your system?

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between the k and the /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to the black screen question...and hit Enter. Reboot the system and let the command execute. The system will boot into XP when the command finishes.

I'd have to guess that the failure to boot normally...is indicative of a hardware problem. Not much I can suggest for that...could be various things...no point in guessing right now.

The one other thing you can do...take a look in Event Viewer. You are only concerned with errors (not information items, not warnings).

Post the details (you can see such by double-clicking on that particular line item) for the last three.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:51 AM

Sounds to me like a dying power supply or an overheating issue.

#6 Saraaahh

Saraaahh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

Okay, I will do all that you say and get back to you. Is there a free AV that you prefer using? I am just not sure I trust Avira anymore, though it worked for years and years for me. And Microsoft, I feel like that is trusting the devil. However, I had ran bothe Spybot and Avira after updating both and they did not find that Induc.A virus. After running the MS Sec. Ess. is when I got the bad news. It was associating this virus with a free keylogger I downloaded when I was trying to find a free program to watch everything my niece does on the new computer she was about to get from my brother, until my mother overheard her best friend tell her - "lets get on the computer and talk to some older guys". Thank you for continued support, I really do appreciate it.

I really hope that it is not a dying power supply or overheating issues because I cannot even imagine a solution for that except buying a new computer, which I cannot do until my next grants come in a month from now...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

I trust and use Avira Free :thumbsup:, along with programs like SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. I also use the Windows firewall on this system.

There is no known program...that can be designed to catch/nullify every form of malware, since new malware surfaces every day, if not every hour.

The tools I mentioned are useless...if the user doesn't maintain a tight security posture (install critical updates, update and use the defense programs installed, refrain from foolish habits that lead to infection, hijacking, etc.).

The major system vulnerability...is the user, IMO.

Louis

#8 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

I suspect when your drive is rattling away, there could be a anti virus scan running. And I agree that running only one AV is best.

I found a utility called Ccleaner that has a great cleaning system, if you are online the cache could be full, or other issues and you need to just run the cleaner. Forget the registry part.
Then run a disk defrag thru windows start, programs, accesories, system tools, disk defrag. Just run it even if it says you dont need to.

As mentioned, if the computer is starting to over-heat, due to dust or whatever.. Get a can of compressed air and open the side of the tower (desktop) and blow things out.

#9 Saraaahh

Saraaahh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

Have you seen http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/T...Win32%2FInduc.A ?

I went to the link and downloaded the MS Security Essentials and used it, nothing came up. I went back and ran the other program One Care and still nothiing found.

I did the event viewer and followed the directions. There were more than three items in the pane though so that is why they are added here.

I think one was empty.

I ran the superantispyware too and nothing.

I vaguely remember something about 312 MB in cache or something, it seemed rather much to me but I am not sure ....what do you think...?

Well, I took off Avira but I don't trust MS, so maybe I will switch back later.

I am getting ready to reboot my computer so it will do the check disk thing and I will get back to you. Thank you all so much, I don't have a can of spray but I am going to take my fan to it after the check disk thing.

THANKS SO MUCH! :thumbsup:

Attached Files

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Based upon what I see your hard drive is getting corrupted time to replace it.

#11 Saraaahh

Saraaahh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:18 AM

I just woke up cuz I fell asleep waiting for chk dsk to finish step four. When I woke up my computer was sitting at login page but steps 1-3 finished fine. Was I supposed to see a results page? :thumbsup: :flowers:

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

Well if you see no more bsod's then your issues are resolved, but during chkdsk you would see stuff getting repaired. I am not sure if it keeps a log some place like scandisk did.

#13 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

Chkdsk 'log':

Open the Control Panel, double click on 'Adminstrative Tools';

double click on the 'Event Viewer' icon, then click on 'Application';

In the 'Source' column, look for the 'Winlogon' item.

Double click it and you should see the results.

Interpreting them is another matter.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

Step 4 of the 5-stage chkdsk process...normally takes longer than any other. The 5th step is a summary calculation of free space on the partition.

Not sure why some people look at the chkdsk /r results.

My approach is it either completes or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I know that I have a problem that requires further investigation.

Louis

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

Step 4 of the 5-stage chkdsk process...normally takes longer than any other. The 5th step is a summary calculation of free space on the partition.

Not sure why some people look at the chkdsk /r results.

My approach is it either completes or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I know that I have a problem that requires further investigation.

Louis

For me personally, I like to watch my computer when something like chkdsk is invoked to be ready in case something happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users