Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jt233

jt233

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/i...n-1764-anav_2~~

I know that some laptops cannot be upgraded as far as sound cards and video cards but I have also heard that some of the newer models can be upgraded. I'm helping a friend decide which laptop to get and I thought if he bought the dell inspiron 1764 then he could buy a better video card and sound card from fry's or newegg and have it upgraded but want to make sure it will work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

The spec sheet does not indicate anything that can be upgraded beyond wireless mini-pci and bluetooth card.

Axiom and MXM do not co-exist, their interfaces were specifically made to not support each other's cards. Dell uses Axiom on some of it's high end laptops from 2006 and later. This does not appear to be one of them. Dell has also applied the name to a drive interface since then.

Start by looking for mxm upgradable laptops
http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/

And rest assured a desktop is the more reliable way to be able to upgrade your graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users