Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Clonging and process

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 antifmradio

antifmradio

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

So i have a Tower with a hard drive starting to fail and im going to prepare to clone the drive contents + operating system.
And im just looking for the proper method to migrate the contents from the old drive
to the new drive.

Let me see if this is the right steps to take

First using a massive external drive i need to do a backup of the main HDD just to keep my files on hand.

Take a new hard drive
place it into the OLD tower next to the old HDD

the old HDD still needs to remain the boot drive.

Using the proper cloning software for my needs,
i CLONE the main HDD to the newly installed HDD

If the Cloning software permits it:
Clone all Files / Folders / windows settings / windows update and patches recently installed / and the most important would be to clone the OS

Am i right so far?

Now here is my additional question.
If i just take an empty drive and put it into the tower
the computer will just see it as a storage space and not boot from it because the old drive is set as the BOOT drive right?

YES / NO

Once i clone the contents to the NEW drive ( while the old one is still working )
And i start the machine,
Windows will NOT try to boot from that new drive because in DOS settings, that particular DRIVE LETTER is not set as the boot drive
am i still correct?

Yes / No

Now one more thing.
Now lets say finally the old drive has failed.
All i would need to do to use the NEW drive is
A) Restart the machine and goto its DOS settings
:thumbsup: Reset them to BOOT FROM "__X__" CD drive letter
This would make the NEW drive will all the cloned data the new BOOT cd right?

Now one more thing
Lets say i cant get into DOS for some reason to change the boot CD setting
Would it help if i just shut it down
Open the tower
Remove the old HDD
Put the NEW HDD in the same position and plug in all the ribbon attachments where the OLD one was
and Turn it on.

At that point since the drive it usually looks for is missing or not found,
it should ask me for the location / name / etc of the NEW boot drive

Am i correct so far?

Yes / No

And the last question is

Once i do the CLONE of the HDD with its OS and all
How do i make sure it actually works on the new drive?
Should i do the clone and so on of everything
then try to restart the computer via the NEWLY Cloned onto HDD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

Am i right so far? - Yes. Cloning will copy the entire contents of your existing hard drive to a new/blank hard drive including the boot sector so it will bootup properly when complete.

Now here is my additional question.
If i just take an empty drive and put it into the tower
the computer will just see it as a storage space and not boot from it because the old drive is set as the BOOT drive right?

Yes - The system will boot from your original hard drive that has your operating system already on it. The new drive will not have any information on it so the computer will only "see" that the drive exists but will not be able to read or write to it until partitioned and formatted.

Once i clone the contents to the NEW drive ( while the old one is still working )
And i start the machine,
Windows will NOT try to boot from that new drive because in DOS settings, that particular DRIVE LETTER is not set as the boot drive
am i still correct?

Your computer will try to boot from the "first" hard drive. Explanation - The first hard drive is normally the "Master" on an IDE chain or SATA0 if the drives are Serial ATA. Your newly cloned drive will be set as "Slave" ( if IDE ) or SATA1 or Sata2 ( If Serial ATA ). The "DOS" settings you are referring to I think you mean "BIOS" settings.

Now lets say finally the old drive has failed.
All i would need to do to use the NEW drive is
A) Restart the machine and goto its DOS settings
Reset them to BOOT FROM "__X__" CD drive letter
This would make the NEW drive will all the cloned data the new BOOT cd right?

You would need to go into your BIOS settings and select the "boot drive". If you have two Seagate hard drives, one will be master and one will be slave. One is 40 gigs and one is 80 gigs. Your normal boot drive is the 40 gig drive. It has now died. You would go into the BIOS settings and tell your computer to boot from the 80 Gig drive. But, this is not normal practice. A failed drive can cause slow performance as the motherboard and the operating system ( once booted ) will constantly be trying to communicate with the failed drive. Your best bet would be to remove the failed drive ( master ). Change the jumper on the slave drive ( clone ) to "Master" and reboot your computer.

Open the tower
Remove the old HDD
Put the NEW HDD in the same position and plug in all the ribbon attachments where the OLD one was
and Turn it on.

Just remember to set the "jumpers" properly and your computer will boot properly.

Once i do the CLONE of the HDD with its OS and all
How do i make sure it actually works on the new drive?
Should i do the clone and so on of everything
then try to restart the computer via the NEWLY Cloned onto HDD?

Yes, Absolutely. Although the best thing you could do for yourself and your computer would be to do this anyhow. You will be working from new equipment that does not have any problems.

If you do this only after your original drive fails, you will lose whatever you added/removed/updated since the clone.

hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

I'd simplify it.

Note: Some cloning programs will not perform necessarily in the manner intended...if the system is an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) with either a restore/recovery partition or the manufacturer's software installed on a partition before the actual O/S. Generally, they will advise users of this, but users seem to somehow overlook such statements.

When you clone a drive or partition, you copy everything exactly as it is...to another drive.

There is no need for using an external drive at all.

Pick whatever cloning software you intend to use...read the instructions for using it...install it and clone the partition.

When the partition has been successfully cloned and the system reboots...you should be given 2 options on the boot menu. Your original hard drive should be the default or first option.

If you decide to keep both drives installed...you have the option of choosing whichever to boot into. I would suggest testing the bootability of the clone, just to be sure.

If you decide to only have one installed...install either and the system will boot from it, as long as the drive is reflected in the BIOS boot options.

Louis

#4 antifmradio

antifmradio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

Guys
thank you very much. Soon ill snatch up another HDD and drop it in the tower + install the cloning software

FarStone DriveClone Pro v5.0

and clone one to the other

then ill go back into BIOS and tell the computer to boot from the NEW HDD and keep running

After some time of NO problems ill simply re-format the OLD drive to wipe it out and give me more space.

Id hate to just toss it out because its a 250gig that came with the machine
Would be a waste to just throw it away.

Ill let my wide use it to save random pics and stuff that she downloads for facebooking and whatever she does over there HAHHAA

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

That program looks interesting...think I'll download a trial version of the latest and see how it is...thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 antifmradio

antifmradio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

ur welcome HAM
let me know what results you get out of it

here shes running a Windows XP HOME SP2 edition