Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen- Restarting issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 retyy

retyy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

As a start off, im not an amazing computer wizz when it comes to these issues.

Ok, here goes

Around 2 days ago I was recording a video to my laptop (HP Pavillion dv6000 notebook) with a device called the "Hauppauge HD PVR" while recording the screen started flashing like a strobe light then went black. I could hear sound repeating over and over but nothing displaying on the screen. I let it sit for 10 minuites before deciding it had had enough time, and had to hold the power button to switch it off.

Upon starting up I could see nothing on the screen but had different colours of lines and blocks going across the screen fading in and out. At this point i thought to myself there is really something wrong going on here and held the power button off again. I then took out the battery put it in again then went to start up. I could now see a little but still grey and colourd blocks all over the screen. I logged in and procceded the start up as normal then went to try and fix the problem by changing the screen resolution (previously 640x480 with 4 bit colour) this worked untill i went to try and watch a video on youtube a dvd or from recordings I had made, which made the computer freeze, the screen go black show a blue screen and then proceed restart.

after restarting the resolution would change back and then would not let me change it again, making it really hard to see any settings or even signing up for this site as a matter of fact :huh: (sorry for any spelling mistakes).

I searched many sites with people having similar issues, this one having the most related to mine.

I have tried the following:

Clean boot - problem persisted.

Update Display card driver- Problem persisted.

I also mannaged to snatch up the error report before it restarted on me:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 8743F498
BCP2: 8C2EAA30
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini021810-03.dmp
C:\Users\Diane\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-135065-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Diane\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2AA8.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=501...mp;clcid=0x0409

-retyy

[More information]

I checked the display drivers in the device manager and it said that

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

i clicked check for solutions, but nothing.

Edited by retyy, 19 February 2010 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

I searched for this error code, and it refers to nVidia drivers being the culprit.

#3 retyy

retyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

Yes i already understood it was that from the start, but I need help fixing it. I have no clue how :huh:

thanks for a reply anyway.

-retyy

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

Have you tried updating your video card drivers? http://www.nvidia.com

#5 retyy

retyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, I believe I stated that in my first post.

I have tried the following:

Clean boot - problem persisted.

Update Display card driver- Problem persisted.

The location of the problem Location: PCI bus 5, device 0, function 0.

It was weird one day I removed the casing and cleaned the fan. I then started it up, it worked fine and I thought it was fixed. I could watch videos, and was thinking of removing the post from this website, but then it happend again.

I was trying to show people what I was seeing by sending them print screens. but they could see everything as clear as day. If I cannot fix this from suggestions on this site, then I guess I either have to send it away or get a new laptop :huh: .

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

Run this program Driver Sweeper to remove all instances of nVidia stuff from your computer. Reboot then reinstall your video card drivers using the latest drivers. If the problem persists then send it off.

#7 retyy

retyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Hmm, well I tried it and it didnt work, so I decided to uninstall the NVIDIA Driver itself and restart. When I restarted it recognised the hardware and installed itself. I then re-installed the drivers and it worked!! but only temporarily. It stoped working again as soon as i hit the play button on the video.

I guess its time to send it off :huh:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hmm, well I tried it and it didnt work, so I decided to uninstall the NVIDIA Driver itself and restart. When I restarted it recognised the hardware and installed itself. I then re-installed the drivers and it worked!! but only temporarily. It stoped working again as soon as i hit the play button on the video.

I guess its time to send it off :huh:

Do you have all the codecs installed?

#9 retyy

retyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

Codecs for video ? yes

#10 brandontech4294

brandontech4294

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

Tell me if i'm wrong, but when you mentioned BCCode 116

is this the full BSOD error

Nvlddmkm.sys 0x00000116

If so tell me what was fixed once you get it fixed because i'm having this problem with my new Nvidia GT240 with the latest update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users