Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post AV 2010 problems. Error: Application Not Found

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buchank

buchank

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

I had th AntiVirus 2010 virus, and i manged to remove it using MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware. After rebooting my computer on instuction, i was prompted with the "open with" menu.

If i try to run a program such as Itunes it come up with the message "Error: Application Not Found"

if i try to run IE or MBAM then it comes up with the "open with" window.

When i try to access add/remove programs in control panel it comes up with C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

I found a "fix" on another site that lots of people said had worked so i tried it......but it didn't work. The fix was:

Windows Registry Editor version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\"%*"

i saved it as fix.reg and ran it, rebooted my computer but it hasn't worked.

Cheers :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hello use this one... For XP.

Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 buchank

buchank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

Ok cheers for that it sems to have worked, the applications are now opening properly.

My computer has been running slow ever since though. I've done scans with MBAM and SUPERAntiSpyware and they haven't found anything. Is it possible there is still something there that they're not picking up?

:thumbsup:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hello lets take a firther look with 2 or 3 scans..
First run an Online scan

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 buchank

buchank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

Ok,

The ESET scan didn't find anything so no report was created.

I got an error message while running the RootRepeal scan which is pasted below, along with the report.

Error:

08:26:01: Could not enumerate files in dir \'\\?\C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\*\' with the Windows API! Error code - 0x00000003
08:26:01: Could not enumerate files in dir \'\\?\C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Live At Konserthuset-12-11 (Radio)\*\' with the Windows API! Error code - 0x00000003

Report:

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
==================================================
Scan Start Time: 2010/02/24 08:22
Program Version: Version 1.3.5.0
Windows Version: Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3
==================================================

Drivers
-------------------
Name: dump_atapi.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_atapi.sys
Address: 0xAA6DC000 Size: 98304 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: dump_WMILIB.SYS
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_WMILIB.SYS
Address: 0xF7B5A000 Size: 8192 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: rootrepeal.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rootrepeal.sys
Address: 0xA906F000 Size: 49152 File Visible: No Signed: -

Hidden/Locked Files
-------------------
Path: C:\HIBERFIL.SYS

Path: c:\program files\microsoft windows onecare live\winsssvc_log.bin
Status: Allocation size mismatch (API: 2195456, Raw: 1540096)

Path: c:\documents and settings\kevin\local settings\temp\~dfff1d.tmp
Status: Allocation size mismatch (API: 1081344, Raw: 32768)

Path: c:\documents and settings\kevin\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\puey4la3\topic296692[1].htm
Status: Allocation size mismatch (API: 1081344, Raw: 98304)

Path: c:\documents and settings\kevin\local settings\application data\microsoft\internet explorer\recovery\active\{fc016a1a-211c-11df-9154-00038a000015}.dat

Path: c:\documents and settings\kevin\local settings\application data\microsoft\windows live contacts\{27acbfbc-c0be-4236-afcc-f5e2d90dc512}\dbstore\tempedb.edb
Status: Allocation size mismatch (API: 4325376, Raw: 262144)

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\01 Slow Moves.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\02 Remain.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\03 Lovestain.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\04 Heartbeats.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\05 Crosses.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\06 Deadweight On Velveteen.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\07 All You Deliver.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\08 Stay In The Shade.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\09 Hints.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\10 Save Your Day.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Veneer\11 Broken Arrows.mp3

Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Jose González\Live At Konserthuset-12-11 (Radio)\09 Love Will Tear Us Apart.mp3

==EOF==

The mp3 files that are brought up are no longer on my computer and don't think they have been for a while. I've had a look in the itunes music folder and they are not there.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hello, I believe your ITunes files were corrupted by the malware and perhaps ITunes needs to be re installed.

I don't think we are infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users