Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen! Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IamurMuse

IamurMuse

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my Compaq Presario s4000nx. About 2 weeks ago I did a clean install of Windows xp Home from my boot disks that I created when I first got the computer, of course everything well, aside from the fact that my computer was telling me to either press f1 for setup or f2 to resume. Fine, I would resume. About a week ago, upon restart (after windows update) I would get a black screen saying that I would either have to have my sytem serviced immediatly or press f2 to resume or the computer would shut down in 5 seconds. After several attempts to get windows to load up just by restarting (because f2 wouldn`t work) of course I finally got BSOD. The only thing I can do is enter setup. f8 isn`t working, there is no recovery option. My partition has been wiped, the computer had a black screen come up saying no hard drive found, no operating system found, and now, other than entering setup the only thing that comes up is the `preparing compaq system recovery` , it goes through the motion, restarts itself and gives me a black screen with a flashing cursor. I have disconnected all of the devices except the keyboard, and my external cd drive (which I use to run my cds from because my built in no longer works). Already changed boot order for that.
BSOD error is 0xc000021a.
Please if anyone can Help me I would appreciate it! Some other info: there are 2 hard drives installed ( I would have to open it up and check for names) As it stands now, the only thing I can do is enter setup.

Edited by IamurMuse, 18 February 2010 - 08:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

#3 IamurMuse

IamurMuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

Thank you for your efforts Crypto, however it went past that error now. All I have left is the setup screen, and nothing will boot up. No disks, or the computer. I am left with a black screen with a cursor. Not able to type anything, just a flashing cursor. I had my computer fixed for me before, it had ntldr missing, when my tech friend brought it back, he said both of my HDDs had bad sectors on them but it worked fine for 2 years until my last windows install. I`m wondering if they`re just done for.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

Thank you for your efforts Crypto, however it went past that error now. All I have left is the setup screen, and nothing will boot up. No disks, or the computer. I am left with a black screen with a cursor. Not able to type anything, just a flashing cursor. I had my computer fixed for me before, it had ntldr missing, when my tech friend brought it back, he said both of my HDDs had bad sectors on them but it worked fine for 2 years until my last windows install. I`m wondering if they`re just done for.

I would bet that they are, how old are they?

#5 IamurMuse

IamurMuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

One is the original that came with the computer, the other I bought from a computer store where I live. I believe the one I bought already had damaged sectors on it, (bought an 80 Gig for 60$ second hand) but I didn`t know at the time. I should be thankful though that she lasted this long :thumbsup: Everything other then the one HDD is original.

Edited by IamurMuse, 18 February 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#6 IamurMuse

IamurMuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

:thumbsup: ok, finally got to the advanced options menu, however I know that there is no operating system installed because it was wiped. Selected safe mode got this message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
wondows root >system32 hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file
what to do...I could use some ideas please!

Edited by IamurMuse, 18 February 2010 - 09:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users