Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeping Shared Folder after reboot - Ubuntu 9.10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:34 AM

Hi! i recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 in MS Virtual PC 2007 and all went fine. I was able to share folders to WinXP machines, but after ubuntu got rebooted, I cant access the share folder unless i re-share them again. How can i keep them mounted on shutdown and reboot? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:37 AM

reshare them how?

#3 jase07

jase07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

reshare them how?

by unsharing and resharing it. but nevermind because it seems i have tons of probs here. i manage to share folders from ubuntu to windows xp machines for half a day then suddenly without doing anything, i can't access ubuntu anymore. its weird, i rebooted few times even shutdown for a few minutes and start again, but the ubuntu computer cannot be browsed anymore.

i wanted to see a detailed tutorial on how to instal ubuntu 9.10 in MS Vurtual PC and how to set up folder sharing for XP machines. any link would be a great help.

thanks for replying. :thumbsup:

Edited by jase07, 21 February 2010 - 07:38 AM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

reshare them how?

by unsharing and resharing it. but nevermind because it seems i have tons of probs here. i manage to share folders from ubuntu to windows xp machines for half a day then suddenly without doing anything, i can't access ubuntu anymore. its weird, i rebooted few times even shutdown for a few minutes and start again, but the ubuntu computer cannot be browsed anymore.

i wanted to see a detailed tutorial on how to instal ubuntu 9.10 in MS Vurtual PC and how to set up folder sharing for XP machines. any link would be a great help.

thanks for replying. :thumbsup:

I think you will have to keep the virtual machine running ubuntu constantly open and running to achieve what you want.

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

If the folder is located in the VM's virtual hard drive, then you would indeed have to keep the VM running. If the folder is located on the host machine, then you should have no problems.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#6 jase07

jase07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

yes i kept ubuntu running via the virtual machine and using a virtual drive. i deleted the ubuntu yesterday then reinstalled it again. i follow these steps https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/net...ing-shares.html in sharing folder. is this all i need to do?

thanks much guys :flowers:

Edited by jase07, 22 February 2010 - 02:24 AM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

yes i kept ubuntu running via the virtual machine and using a virtual drive. i deleted the ubuntu yesterday then reinstalled it again. i follow these steps https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/net...ing-shares.html in sharing folder. is this all i need to do?

thanks much guys :flowers:

You are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users