Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If your programs don't run in WIN 7 read this!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

I know like a lot of people out there, trying to run some programs under Windows 7 who run into issues with the progarm not running or displaying error messages it can't start or certain .dll's can't load.

These programs have to be executed under Administrator control, follow the solutions to fix this below.

There are two solutions to this problem.

Solution #1 Which is a temp. solution is to right click the .exe (executable) file (The one that you double click to start the program) and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. The program will most likely

start. But this option has to be done everytime you attempt to run the program, read solution #2 for a permanent solution, where you never have to do that "right click" again.

Solution #2 Which is a permanent solution is to right click the .exe of the program and chose PROPERTIES look for the ADVANCED button near lower end of ADVANCED PROPERTIES window and click

it. There you will see an empty check box next to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, put a check in the box then click OK. Next in PROPERTIES box click APPLY and OK. Now the program will always run as administrator.

This can be applied through a desktop shortcut as well, just right click the shortcut and apply the same instructions I gave above for the .exe.

Because Windows 7 has User Account Control, you will still be asked if executing the program is OK, I suggest you leave that feature on for system safety, so unauthorized programs can't run

automatically.

This information also works for all versions of Windows Vista

I hope this information has helped someone who migrated from Windows XP to Vista or Windows 7.

Best regards to all!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 February 2010 - 01:30 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

Thank you MrBruce1959. I just printed your instructions and will try it later and get back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users