Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Uninstall Sentry At Home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bunnydakillr

bunnydakillr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

I've been using a parental control software called Sentry At Home for a few years now. However, recently it's started acting up, so I've decided to try and remove it. Only problem is, I can't. Whenever I try to uninstall it, I get an error message (error code 6003) telling me that I need to close any other programs, empty my temporary folder, and check my internet connections. I've ensured that all three of these criteria are in the proper order, and yet I still get the same message. I've contacted the Sentry At Home support team twice now about this, but all they keep doing is throwing a link to a cleanup.exe program that has done nothing for me so far. Has anyone else had this problem with this software? If so, please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

Have you tried uninstalling in safe mode?
I would also download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
If it is listed in there, tick the box by it and un the utility
Try Revo uninstaller:

How To Use Revo Uninstaller:
  • Please download Revo Uninstaller.
  • Extract the ZIP file to a folder and run revouninstaller.exe from there! (You can copy that folder to an USB Mass storage drive and use it without any installation required!)
  • There are two ways to uninstall programs with Revo Uninstaller:
    Important: Please, try to close the application you want to uninstall first!
  • Select the application in the list of installed applications and press the Uninstall button in the toolbar.
  • Right-click the application and click the Uninstall command in the displayed menu. Follow the instructions.

If it says processes are still running, you will need to download Process Explorer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Find the offending entries and disable them

Edited by garmanma, 18 February 2010 - 02:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 bunnydakillr

bunnydakillr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

Hello, and thanks for replying so promptly. I have attempted to uninstall in safe mode before, with the same result. I tried Revo Uninstaller as you suggested, and that seemed to successfully remove a number of the files -- there were far more of them than I originally thought -- but it seems that Sentry at Home remains installed and functioning. I think this is because the problem lies within the uninstall wizard itself. I noticed that the same error popped up after Revo Uninstaller attempted to run the program's uninstall wizard. However, I am most certainly grateful you've led me to this uninstall program, as I quite like its ability to scan for every last file relating to whatever it is I want to uninstall. Unfortunately, like I said, Sentry seems to be quite stubborn in this regard.

I'll try using Process Explorer, like you recommended, but since the problem lies with the uninstall wizard itself, I'm not certain that will have much of an effect. Thanks again for the help so far, though.

#4 bunnydakillr

bunnydakillr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

I just rebooted, and it seems that Revo Uninstaller may have been a bit more effective than I initially thought. There are definitely at least a few processes still running, which I think Process Explorer should take care of, but the vast majority of what was once there is now gone. So, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users