Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98SE floppies inaccessible in XP?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hi y'all!

Have a large cahce of 1.44Mb Windows 98SE floppies that I need to access, but my XP-Pro says no dice! I get a popup error message:

'A:\ is not accessible
No ID address mark was found on the floppy disc'

There are several dozen floppies with text I wrote over several years, some on Win 95 computer, some on Win 98 & 98SE. The were readily accessible on those machines, so the address was correct there. Naturally they were properly formatted before writing to them.

Any hot tricks to break into these things?

I still have both of the old computers I could possibly get running, but trying to save myself the hassles at the moment. Also not ready to slave those drives to XP-Pro just yet.
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

You can try running chkdsk /r on them.

Floppies tend to lose data, develop problems after some time...one of the reasons they were so easily left behind by former users.

Louis

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:52 PM

Well, in a round about way you revealed the problem, thanks!

This was my first attempt to use the floppy drive on this machine. In addition to the above mentioned problem, inserting any diskette into drive and right clicking causes the hourglass and then the program locks up! Seems there's a floppy drive problem so I'm breaking out the tools again....
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users