Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only boot in Safe Mode in Win XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 javaman12

javaman12

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

Hello,

I recently was infected with the Internet Security 2010 malware bug. After searching various forums, I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it, which got rid of several instances. However when I rebooted, I found that I could no longer boot into Windows at all, either normally or in Safe Mode. I would see the Win XP splash screen, followed by a quick blue screen, then it would reboot.

I ran a repair of Windows XP through the CD, and now I can get to the Windows login screen, but immediately a window pops up that says something like - "winlogon.exe" instruction at referenced memory could not be written click on OK to terminate or Cancel to Debug. Whichever button I click on, it forces my computer to restart.

I can log into my system through Safe Mode, but I can't boot normally. I know I must have some remnants of the malware on my computer but I don't know how to delete it. I also tried downloading SUPERAntiSpyware Free and installing it in Safe Mode, but when I click on the installation file, I get a pop up saying "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation".

What do I do? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for posting your question . When you log in in the safe mode , are you logging in on the admin account ? Post a reply .

Please use restore points often

#3 javaman12

javaman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm logging in as I normally do, as I only have 1 user account that has Administrator privileges. The thing is, I've been able to install other software while in Safe Mode, but when I try running this particular program, I get that notice preventing its installation.

#4 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Download RKill by Grinler and put on desktop. http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
Download mbam from this site. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Double click the rkill link and let it run. Do not restart computer, even if it wants you to, if it does not run the first time , just run it again, It is a quick program
Then run the mbam program, update and do a quick scan, remove all detected.
You should be able to start in Normal mode now. Let me know how this works for you.

If it does not , it means the file was not repaired, Do this. Copy the winlogon.exe file from c:\windows\servicepackfiles to c:\windows\system32 and reboot.

Edited by lilbit96, 18 February 2010 - 12:35 PM.

Please use restore points often

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users