Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about cooling fans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tuckered_out

tuckered_out

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

Is it a fairly simple job to replace the cooling fans in a compaq presario desk top computer? I don't have the money to pay someone to do it for me. I have thought about taking the cover off and go to one of the programs that it gets hot on and look at the fans. Just what is it I'm looking for? ( for example will the bad one stop running or what?) Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grommers

Grommers

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

By cooling fans do you mean the fans mounted in the case or the fan on top of the CPU? If it is the case fans then you will be able to see that they are all spinning ok if you open up the case and then turn the system on, if it is a problem with the CPU fan then the system will most likely be unstable and crash randomly or even not start at all in order to protect itself.

In either case it is fairly simple to replace the fans and instructions can be given based on which you are looking to replace.

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

I agree W/ Groomers.
Its simple all you need to find out is which one of the two is busted cpu fan or desktop fan. Once you know just grave the screw driver pull it out and go buy a new one for like $15 and then reinstall.

If it is the CPU fan you might need new "heat sink paste" if you are going to remove it from the processor instead of from the heat sink :thumbsup:

#4 tuckered_out

tuckered_out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

My system keeps running when it gets hot. It has not crashed.

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Is it your Cpu fan or Desktop Fan?

If it is your CPU fan you might still want to replace it cause it will cause problems down the road, it might ruin your processor and Mother Board and that would really suck.

#6 tuckered_out

tuckered_out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

You'll have to bear with me on this. I don't know the difference between a cpu fan and desk top fan. The fan that seems to start working overtime is the one on the back of my pc on top. It starts running faster and can feel really warm air coming thru the vent. I can feel it on my hand.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

All you might need to do is clean the PC's interior:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 tuckered_out

tuckered_out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the link, garmanma. Very helpful. Will try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users