Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP home will not boot after SP3 install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gsteven

Gsteven

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

I've been called to assist with a PC having some issues. The PC is a Compaq Presario desktop running XP home which is fairly old based on the 80GB HDD and the fact that it's got a 3.5" FDD.

The events as I know them are;
There was an infection with what I believe was a variation of the blaster worm which was causing the PC to reboot and redirecting the IE7 web browser. I helped via remote access to get a copy of AVG on the PC and killed that bug.

The owner then did what any typical owner would. Applied ALL MS updates. Unfortunately this included SP3. After the SP was applied the PC fails to boot in any mode. After a little research I decided to make a BartPE boot CD. This enables me to get the PC booted and my thought was to restore to a point prior to the SP install. Problem is that I cannot see any restore points.

Is there a reasonable way to get around this without wiping the drive and reinstalling? There is a recovery partition on teh HDD but even that would wipe out software installs etc..

Is there no way to determine why SP3 is preventing the boot and just fix that?

Edited by Gsteven, 17 February 2010 - 08:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gsteven

Gsteven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

additional information.

Phoenix Award BIOS - rev 3.05 - 11/25/2003 (licensed by HP - may try updating this after I get PC running)
1.2 GB RAM
Intel Celeron CPU - 2.8gHz - 128k cache

when I disable auto restart I get to the BSOD. The error follows:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
An attempt was made to write to read only memory.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
<<< here it mentions disabling shadow ram and caching but the bios does not provide that option>>>
Technical Information:
STOP: 0x000000BE (0x8050B73E,0x0050B121, 0xF789E560, 0x0000000B)
if I attempt to open the recovery console booting from the HDD I'm prompted for the Admin password which has never been set. I press enter and it drops me to a command prompt at the C:\Windows directory.

maybe this will help...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

If you get to the C:\Windows line...you are ready to type a Recovery Console command.

I'd try chkdsk /r.

Louis

Worth reading: HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#4 Gsteven

Gsteven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

OK - tried that but as expected didn't find any issues because chkdsk was done during the virus clean up session. I really believe this is related to SP3 and where it's trying to load something into memory.

Why was I thinking that the recovery console was GUI driven? Or is that System Restore? Where you choose which restore point you want to go back to on a calendar. Is that going to be applicable here or would the SP3 install wipe any of the restore points prior to the install?

And I'll ask one of my original questions again. Isn't there a way to determine why the SP3 loading is crashing and fix that? After all it would be a good thing to have SP3 installed.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:58 AM

You need to flash your BIOS to get SP3 to work. It says before upgrading to any service pack to make sure all your hardware and software is updated prior to running Service Pack Installs. This includes making sure your BIOS is updated.

#6 bedlamjim

bedlamjim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Had this exact same code popup today. It was caused by KB977165. I've seen quite a few of these lately. Might be worth it to check to see if it has been installed as well.

Boot to XP cd. Go to recovery console. If that update has been installed, there will be a folder called $ntuninstallKB977165$ under c:\windows. Go in that folder and then to the spuninst folder.

Now, you should be at c:\windows\$ntuninstallkb977165$\spuninst\

Now, type batch spuninst.txt

It will show "1 File Copied" or something like that about 6 times. Now type exit to reboot the system and if that is the source of your problem, you're fixed.

According to MS, that problem is because you have a rootkit already on your system when that update was installed. See this article: http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010...on-rootkit.aspx

Good luck.

#7 jlazz

jlazz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

I was up until 1:30am yesterday with the exact same issue...after XP3 update the system would not boot, safe mode hung on agp440.sys....I simply game up trying to hack my way around the issue and ran a repair setup of XP SP2....all is well now.

A good lesson I had to relearn is to be sure to have your product key readily available if you attempt an XP setup (you can't cancel midway), I did manage to find a 'temp' product key right on the XP cd in the i386 directory in a file called unattend.txt scroll to the bottom and you'll find a key that will allow you to at least set up windows. You will still need your product key to activate XP but at least you're not stuck on the install.

good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users