Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup file folder is empty

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

MS Windows Pro SP2 - very sluggish. Wanted to take Adobe quick start, media player, etc from startup as someone on your forums suggested. Start - all programs - startup is empty. Searched "startup" and found all startup folders in C: Documents and settings and C:Windows system 32 empty. There is a STARTUPINFO.CLASS in com/ms/win32 (4 Files), 3 files in C:\Windows\pss and a StartupList in C\Windows\options\spywareremoval\StartupList Generator. How does my computer know which programs to run at startup? And how can I manage them?
I know it's "one issue per question," but this may be related: mdm.exe keeps running even when I check "disable script debugging."
Thank you for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

Try using a program like Ccleaner. It will show everything loading at startup and will allow you to stop them from loading if you want.

Try using a program like Ccleaner. It will show everything loading at startup and will allow you to stop them from loading if you want.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Thank you. I run CCleaner nearly every 4-5 internet searches, and occasionaly clean the registry, but never realized it had additional uses. After disabling Q-time and Adobe quick start, CC shows only 4 programs running at startup. Minimal software: MSOffice, camera, cd burner... So I'm back to figuring out where all the memory has gone.
Do you have any idea why the startup folder is empty?
BTW - does Baltboy refer to the Baltic Sea? Just curious. I'm Lithuanian and also live in Pennsylvania.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

The startup folder is kind of unimportant, since it doesn't reflect any items which initiate at startup which are in the registry.

The folder never portrays all startup items.

To see all startups...a program like Autoruns should be used, IMO. The Logon tab reflects all items generally regarded as "startups".

Louis

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:23 PM

Right and...

occasionaly clean the registry

DO NOT. It may be simply a root of all your issues.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:51 AM

Thank you. I understand MS does not recommend it. The "cleans" have removed very little, mostly little leftovers from programs I'd deleted. Usually no issues are found, or an occasional unused file extension. I don't think it is, hope it isn't, the root (is this a pun?) of my problem. Could you explain why it might be? I know very little about the inner workings of this machine. I did make a registry backup (reset point) before the first clean

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

In general...registry cleaners are not suggested...because they are like putting a chain saw in the hands of a child, IMO.

The user has no idea what is being done to the system...no idea when the program was developed...no idea what criteria were used in some 3d-party's determination of what entries should be changed or removed.

If directions are provided, most users don't bother to read them.

In general...users tend to think of "cleaning the registry" as some sort of magical fix for whatever might ail the system. No such thing exists.

System problems are best solved by careful examination of any error messages...careful application of known fixes for known system problems (which exist in the thousands, IMO)...and trial-and-error attempts to correct known, specific problems based on the experinces of others.

Add to this the fact that all systems do not necessarily respond the same way to the same situation...and the ever-present threat/existence of malware on systems (which throws out all previously known rules for diagnosing/correcting system symptoms)...and you get a picture of a blindfolded user armed with a shotgun which may be pointed at herself/himself.

A good example of this...the recent assertion by many that a MS critical update "ruined" their systems...when subsequent investigation reveals that a high percentage (if not all) of those systems...received adverse reactions when installing the critical update...because their systems were infected by a rootkit which locked the users out of their systems when the update was applied.

Sometimes...what a user thinks is "obvious" as a problem...has causes which require something other than a predetermined disposition or interpretation of what needs to be done.

Anyone who uses a "registry cleaner" with the assumption that the developers know what they are doing on a system no human has attempted to examine...is taking a great chance that something vital may be removed in the process of such cleaning...and they are taking an even greater chance that the registry cleaner will properly deal with situations...not expected to be encountered.

Louis

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

Actually Baltboy is from when I used to live in Baltimore, MD USA. I have since relocated to Pennsylvania, USA but I am still knid of attached the moniker. :thumbsup:

You mentioned "where all the memory has gone" and that your system is sluggish. We need more information such as how much memory do you have and how much is available if your having a memory shortage. It is possible you may have some kind of malware/ virus as well. Have you run any malware/virus scans of the computer? Malwarebytes works well for many issues. I am also partial to AVG Free for antivirus software.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#9 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:51 AM

1) What does IMO mean?
2) Thank you for taking time to explain registry cleaning
3) I've run the MSvirus scan from the Microsoft Website periodically. It has never found anything. Is there something else you would suggest? For a long time ran the software that includes Teatimer, but it was taking too much space and bogging down the system. Will reinstall AVG free. Thanks.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

IMO=In My Opinion.

You have been asked for system specs and you haven't provided that yet. Without that info, it's difficult for anyone to help you as there are many reasons why computers are slow. Maybe you're looking for a magic fix when there may not be one.

#11 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

At your suggestion, I ran Malwarebytes. It found some issues. I've asked on another thread whether is was OK to fix those issues since they involve registry keys, which a previous post here said to be careful about. I'm sitting with the MalwareBytes results in front of me not knowing what to do next. One issue it identified is Hijack.StartMenu, Category Registry Data.

Re computer specs: Capacity 6 GB, Free Space 972 MB (15%)
MSWindows XP Pro (Version 2002) SP2, Intel Pentium II, 399Mz, 256 MB of RAM

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

At your suggestion, I ran Malwarebytes. It found some issues. I've asked on another thread whether is was OK to fix those issues since they involve registry keys, which a previous post here said to be careful about. I'm sitting with the MalwareBytes results in front of me not knowing what to do next. One issue it identified is Hijack.StartMenu, Category Registry Data.

Re computer specs: Capacity 6 GB, Free Space 972 MB (15%)
MSWindows XP Pro (Version 2002) SP2, Intel Pentium II, 399Mz, 256 MB of RAM

Put windows 2000 on that machine, it doesnt meet the min specs.

#13 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's been doing fine for nearly 6 years. I'm thinking someone knows how its recent memory shrinkage problem can be fixed.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

Malwarebytes entries are normally safe to fix.

On the other hand, your processor is rather slow and you need more RAM. With 256MB of RAM, XP will be always slow.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#15 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

Thank you, Broni. I will fix the Malwarebytes entries. And maybe look about for an additional malware scan.

Maybe a dinosaur, but until recently, quite adequate for my needs. The only time it was seriously sluggish before was when the Symantec security system was running. I understand that was true for a lot of users. (I'll have to check - it may be that the RAM showing on the black startup screen is different from what it says on System Properties.)

There are big chunks of Adobe everywhere on the hard drive. Finding a way to clear them off should give me a lot of free space.

I'm glad you people are out there for us DIY strugglers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users