Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Grinler

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ditzy

ditzy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:56 PM

Hi Grinler

I posted a thread (that I could not find) regarding Registry Keys and spyware infections. Thanks to you and jgweed for the responses and for the information and links. :thumbsup:

Thing is, I followed the steps until the "create a directory" part. I don't know how to do this step.
I saved HijackThis to My Documents and continued with the instrutions, but, I dunno if it worked.

Sorry to be a pain. :flowers:
Can you let a ditz know how to create a directory.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:34 PM

That thread appears to be here. As for making the directory, see if this is clear:

Download HijackThis from this HijackThis Download Site.

Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\HJT. You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT. Unzip HijackThis into this folder. Please delete any other copies (including the zip copy) so they can't be used. If required a tutorial is here.

Run HijackThis by opening the C:\HJT folder and double clicking on the Hijackthis.exe file. Click on the Scan button and then on the Save Log button. After specifying the save path (keeping the logs in C:\HJT is a good idea) NotePad will open. Right click and Select All, then right click again and select Copy.

Create a reply as a continuation of your original thread above, and right click in the message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Hope that helps.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:42 PM

I'm chucklin' with ya, ditzy, forums for beginners is a riot of trial n' error. If it helps, Grinler had to tell me not too long ago that directory=folder. The directory is just an "old school" way of sayin' folder. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:18 AM

:thumbsup: Hi Ditzy, Just to let you know. To find threads that you have posted in, click on the "My Control Panel" link @ the top of the page. Once in there, look on the left of the page. You will see "Subscriptions and Topics" Under which there are a few choices. Any of the "Participating Topics" will get you to all of your previous posts. There is also a "Track Topic" link @ the top of every thread. Clicking on this will give you e-mail notices of replies to any thread you have posted to also.
Posted Image

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for charing Scarlett. The way that I do it is very similar, except I add a little step. When you click the link that shows your participating topics, then (with IE), click File, and Send->Desktop as Shortcut. Now you may be thinking, why would I do that? Wouldn't it just show me the same thing everytime? The answer is no. When you click this link the next time, it will show an UPDATED list of your topics. It makes finding them very easy.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 ditzy

ditzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2004 - 06:53 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2004 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for charing Scarlett.  The way that I do it is very similar, except I add a little step.  When you click the link that shows your participating topics, then (with IE), click File, and Send->Desktop as Shortcut.  Now you may be thinking, why would I do that?  Wouldn't it just show me the same thing everytime?  The answer is no.  When you click this link the next time, it will show an UPDATED list of your topics.  It makes finding them very easy.

Brilliant! What a fantastic idea! :thumbsup: And yes JE I would not of thought that the page would be updated at first. But now that you mention it. I have B.C. on my Desktop for easy access. :flowers: Same diff., huh?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users