Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvorak

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:24 PM

Has/does anyone type in Dvorak? I've heard many good things about the layout of keys in this method, mainly from people online and my group of nerds at NCSU. They say it's a lot more efficient, and you can type faster than the QWERTY layout. I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion/insight on the method of typing in Dvorak, or any helpful sites regarding the subject? I'm thinking about changing, and would like to get views from QWERTY enthusiasts, as well as Dvorak users.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:27 PM

Many people seem to like it, and it is perhaps more effecient. Against this is a rather long learning curve, and (despite all that great music) Dvorak is certainly limited in its universality- - -this means that you will need to be able to use both keyboard setups equally well especially if you use more standard keyboards elsewhere.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

Many people seem to like it, and it is perhaps more effecient. Against this is a rather long learning curve, and (despite all that great music) Dvorak is certainly limited in its universality- - -this means that you will need to be able to use both keyboard setups equally well especially if you use more standard keyboards elsewhere.
Regards,
John

Yeah, being in college i'm going to need to use a lot of computer labs (i brought a desktop, not a laptop to ncsu).

I'm debating whether or not QWERTY will leave my mind if i start using Dvorak exclusively on my dorm box. I'm predicting that, if i learn Dvorak, qwerty probably WON'T be a problem later in a comp. lab, but i can't say for sure. It just seems like qwerty typing now is second nature to my fingers. Like riding a bike, i don't see how my skills in qwerty would dimish...

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:19 PM

My only concern in your case is that you will need to do a lot of typing with minimal mistakes, and having two typing systems in your head might lead to finger confusion just at the time when you don't need the extra burden. At least while in school, which puts enough strain on your mind, I would stick to the QWERTY keyboard.
Just my own opinion,
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

My only concern in your case is that you will need to do a lot of typing with minimal mistakes, and having two typing systems in your head might lead to finger confusion just at the time when you don't need the extra burden. At least while in school, which puts enough strain on your mind, I would stick to the QWERTY keyboard.
Just my own opinion,
Cheers,
John

Yeah, you might be right. I'm already crunched for time with Webassign assignments, essays, lab reports, etc. I wouldn't really want to try to learn a completely new key assignment while trying to write a 10 page term paper....

Thanx for the input jg :thumbsup:

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 04 September 2005 - 07:04 PM.

#6 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:56 AM

To boost your speed typing and reduce hand fatigue, try a split keyboard. I've worn a couple of them out, and would never go back to a straight one.

Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#7 mylogicistechno

mylogicistechno

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

Personally, I enjoy using both layouts. I have clear Dvorak overlays on my keyboard to make it easy to switch back and forth. I usually use QWERTY but I fiddle around a bit with the Dvorak setting and thus far have not had any problem with typing confusion.
"My eyes divide the skies
as sirens sound in Heaven
My will brings down the moon
and shatters it to pieces"
Assemblage 23 - Divide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users