Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spyware terminator

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Some people have been telling me to put spyware terminator on my computer. Is it any good?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tingnome

Tingnome

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hello there,

spyware terminator is a legitimate program and is not bad by any means.

If you are looking for a free anti-virus/spyware program i would recommend others. The two I would recommend would be either
Avira AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/download_avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html)
or
avast! (http://www.avast.com/)

Both of these programs have good Definitions (A.k.a. the database of known viruses and spyware they have access to.)

All these free programs, spyware terminator included have removal tools, but do not have many prevention methods.

For example if a file is accidently downloaded and begins infecting your system, none of the free programs will notice it until it has already infected you.

In my opinion I would recommend a stronger anti-virus, the one i recommend to all my customers and the one i use in the field is Kaspersky (http://www.kaspersky.com/)

It has some of the strongest definitions and prevention methods. Many company's including Best Buy, Qwest and many banks use Kaspersky's software and definitions.

let me know if you have any more questions

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

All these free programs, spyware terminator included have removal tools, but do not have many prevention methods.

For example if a file is accidently downloaded and begins infecting your system, none of the free programs will notice it until it has already infected you.

That is a completely false statement. BOTH Avira AntiVir Free, and avast! free include real time monitoring, which prevents you from becoming infected in the first place. It seems like you are just trying to get people to buy Kaspersky, or just haven't done your research.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Spyware Terminator Technical Details
About Spyware Terminator Help
Spyware Terminator FAQs

-- Web Security Guard is included in the download but not required. After installation you will be prompted to Enable Web Security Guard Toolbar. This browser add-on (similar to Site Advisor) is enabled by default so be sure to uncheck the box if you do not want it installed. If you install WSG by mistake, it can easily be removed later via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
-- If you already have an anti-virus application, there is no need to install the optional Clam AntiVirus integration. ClamAV does not have a real time scanning engine but you can integrate it into ST's Realtime Shield to include virus scanning support. However, ClamWin has partnered with Ask.com and now bundles the Ask Toolbar (optional) with the ClamWin setup file.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

I use Avast AntiVirus (free edition) and feel it does a great job..but my question was really on spyware terminator. I love SuperAntispyware and Malwarebyte. But as far as free goes the idea of a free spyware scanner that is auto-protect as well, intrigues me.

#6 Tingnome

Tingnome

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

That is a completely false statement. BOTH Avira AntiVir Free, and avast! free include real time monitoring, which prevents you from becoming infected in the first place. It seems like you are just trying to get people to buy Kaspersky, or just haven't done your research.

Im sorry? Im not selling Kaspersky, I like many different anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Kaspersky is rated in the top three along with Norton definition wise. Did you not read what i wrote? I specifically said that the definitions of the software is the important part. If you can get your hands on Symantec corporate edition, spysweeper w/av or trendmico w/as those are also very good pieces of software

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

I know that you aren't promoting Kaspersky, its just the wording you used. But yes I read what you wrote "For example if a file is accidently downloaded and begins infecting your system, none of the free programs will notice it until it has already infected you."
That is not accurate at all. BOTH of the FREE programs you mentioned have real-time protection. BOTH of the FREE programs will notify you of a virus/infection before you are infected. And the definitions aren't as important as good prevention methods and heuristic (behavior) detection. Heuristic detection can identify many, many files by the way they behave, any malicious activity will alert the AV program to the file and intervene before anything bad happens. Both Avira and avast! have great heuristic protection (I have used both of them, Avira in the past for many years, switched to avast about 2 months ago)

I don't mean to come off as rude, I would just like to clear some facts up for the OP :thumbsup:

Edited by xblindx, 18 February 2010 - 06:27 PM.

#8 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I didn't mean to start a battle here...lol Just asked an innocent question. :thumbsup:

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

Hi pouringreign.

For what it's worth:

Not so long ago I was using Spyware Terminator. It did alright, mainly because of it's H.I.P.S feature. Let me throw another one at you to consider.

PC Tools ThreatFire: http://www.threatfire.com/

ThreatFire doesn't have an on-demand folder/file scan like Spyware Terminator as ThreatFire is a behavioral blocker, however you can have it scan for rootkits on demand or schedual scans. You already have the on-demand folder/file scans covered though with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware as well as Avast.

You'll probably wonder if it's working at first because it just sits quietly in the background watching, until something nefarious comes along at which time it will spring into action.

ThreatFire worked well with Avast 4.8 and works well with Avast 5.0. It's a great addition to your resident security and it's free.

#10 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I did have a bad experience with PC Tools Firewall and Spyware Doctor. I guess that there is always going to be something else out there. Now I know SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareByte, Avast AntiVirus works well. I am looking for something which is auto-protecting against spyware. I'm rather confused whether this Threatfire will conflict with my AntiVirus and is really to find spyware.

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

I can understand your misgivings after having problems with their firewall. I've installed that firewall on a number of machines with out issue, just lucky I guess. ThreatFire is "auto-protecting" against spyware, however, it covers the entire gambit of malware not just spyware and it is very effective. I too, have Avast 5.0, MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware installed and ThreatFire causes no conflicts or slowdowns.

I've also had ThreatFire catch security test apps. that have slid by the other three above. That said, I believe that Spyware Terminator's H.I.P.S would have caught them too. Spyware Terminator, for me, did not cause any conflicts with Avast, MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware and its resident protection worked quite effectively.

Trouble was, it came with extra baggage, which could either be shut off or opted out of. When the H.I.P.S(S.T.'s strongest feature) was active it could become a nuisance as it would always block any new application install and quite frequently block updates or upgrades to already installed applications such as security programs. You could check the remember this action but, when an upgrade came along that check seemed to become null and void. This was not a problem if you did manual updates and upgrades because you could temporarily disable H.I.P.S from the SysTray icon. But if you use auto updates it could become problimatic.

From a user's standpoint, the difference between Spyware Terminator's H.I.P.S and ThreatFire was, H.I.P.S didn't distinguish between secure and non-secure. Anything different or new was automatically assumed to be non-secure and Spyware Terminator would ask for authorization to either allow or deny the action.

ThreatFire on the other hand, can usually distinguish between what's bad or good and therefore doesn't pester you near as much. Also when it does prompt you, it means that what ever application it is notifying you about, is indeed trying to perform a rather suspicious action and block it till you give authorization. If you refuse to authorize then it will quarantine the item.

If ThreatFire finds a known security risk it will block it, quarantine it and notify you.

There have been upgrades and updates to Spyware Terminator so I can't say what improvements have been made. It certainly won't hurt to install it and give it a try. If you like it, then you're good to go. If you don't like it then it can be easily un-installed, especially if you use Revo Uninstaller, and then you can try ThreatFire.

At one point, for a very short time, I had both(not smart) Spyware Terminator and ThreatFire installed. Just until I was sure of ThreatFire. They seemed to get along fine. I don't recommend doing this as there was an, almost imperceptible lag, which would indicate that indeed there was some type of conflict between the two.

Edited by FlannelBack, 19 February 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#12 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Is it okay to have both spyware terminator and threatfire on a computer? Some how I want to see which is more effective however since I haven't had spyware for years, maybe I can test it with people who get spyware all the time.

#13 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

I wouldn't have both installed and running at the same time, you can have both on your machine, but make sure only one of them is active at a time.

#14 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Is it okay to have both spyware terminator and threatfire on a computer?

It's alright to have both Spyware Terminator and ThreatFire installed on the same computer, but, it is inadvisable to have both set as a resident(real time) scanner/blocker.

In that respect it is easy to have Spyware Terminator set for on-demand scans only(no H.I.P.S) like the free version of MalwareBytes for instance, while having ThreatFire performing the actual resident(real time) protection, along side of Avast and your firewall. This is the way ThreatFire is designed to be used. The reverse is not possible as ThreatFire does not have a folder/file on-demand scan option like that of Spyware Terminator, SuperAntiSpyware, Avast and MalwareBytes.

ThreatFire's primary function is that of a behavioral blocker, to defend against zero-day attacks from any form of malware and it's extremely effective at this. While it has degrees of sensitivity, it is also, either on or off.

Some how I want to see which is more effective however since I haven't had spyware for years

If you install Spyware Terminator and give it a try, later you could try ThreatFire after either un-installing Spyware Terminator or disabling it's H.I.P.S feature. It would be difficult to compare them side by side on the same machine unless you set up VM. It won't take you long to figure out whether you like Spyware Terminator or not. For me, it was a pest, but a good defense. ThreatFire on the other hand is an excellent defense that sits quietly in the background, like Avast, so you hardly notice it is there. Untill something suspicious comes along, if that happens, you'll definitely be aware of ThreatFire's presence.

Some other things to take into account. It's easy to get carried away with security applications and over burden the system. That's one of the reasons I prefer ThreatFire to Spyware Terminator, it's lighter on the resources. ThreatFire updates more frequently too, several times a day. Where as Spyware Terminator only updated once every 24 hours, that's one of the things that could have changed since I used it.

On that note, since you have Avast installed, it has anti-spyware built in. If you haven't had any spyware in years then perhaps Avast is enough and you don't need to consider Spyware Terminator or ThreatFire for the sole purpose of guarding against spyware. Bare in mind though, both Spyware Terminator and ThreatFire guard against more than just spyware.

If you are using Avast 5.0 it has a behavior shield too. Although, there have been numerous questions about the behavior shield in the Avast forums, the last I checked there had been no definitive answers from any member of the Alwil Team as to exactly what it does or how it performs. Everyone has assumed that it is a zero-day malware blocker, but no one seems to know for sure. I'm not sure what else it would be for though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users