Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Boot...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GTS

GTS

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

Basically...Here's the story..

A few days ago I started up my machine, and it booted up just fine. Only problem was everything was moving EXTREMELY slow. From the log in screen to starting up programs...It all took more than twice as long to get going...so I decided to restart my machine. It got to the XP Loading Screen and after about two seconds, restarted again..

This time, it took me to the screen where I choose If I want to start Windows normally or go into Safe Mode. Neither option worked. No matter what I picked (Normal or Safe Mode) it would restart and take me back to that screen. So I tried "Last good configuration". That gave me this message: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM.

So, I managed to find an .iso of the recovery console, burned it, and booted from it. It loaded up just fine. I got into the recovery console and initially tried to run a system restore, however, I kept getting an access denied error. So I did some research and found a few spots that told me what to do to get past that Access Denied error...I got up to a step that said to type: ren system system.bak However, when I typed that I get a "The system cannot find the file or directory specified" alert...

I also tried the chkdsk command. That ran fine, but did not fix my problem.

I really don't know what to do. Is my hard drive done? And if so...Is there anything I can do to at least salvage some of my files?

I tried using Knoppix, and for the most part, it worked fine. Booted up with no problems, and I could view my hard drive. I went into the Program Files using Knoppix and saw programs that I installed, etc....The problem is, most of my Music, Video and Picture files (Most of which I had stored in folders on my desktop) are no where to be seen...Anyone know why? Is there anything else I can do or anything else I can use?

Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Edited by GTS, 17 February 2010 - 05:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Follow the procedures on the link below. Let me know the results.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

#3 GTS

GTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

I did try that...I get the access denied message from the very start (won't let me input md tmp)

#4 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

I did try that...I get the access denied message from the very start (won't let me input md tmp)

Are you being asked for the administrator password when attempting to enter recovery console?

#5 GTS

GTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

It didn't ask for a Password.

I just tried it again. As soon as the Recovery Console loads up, I select C:\WINDOWS and entered md tmp. It said "A directory or file with the name tmp already exists". So I entered in the next line and got the "cannot find the file..." message.

#6 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

Tell me what version of Xp you have please and do you have a windows cd?

#7 GTS

GTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

I don't have a Windows CD.

XP Service Pack 2.

#8 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

I don't have a Windows CD.

XP Service Pack 2.

Xp Pro, Xp Home, Xp Media Center Edition, ??

#9 GTS

GTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. Home.

#10 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab then Click on "Device Mgr". Click on the + sign to the left of "Disk Drives". Please provide me with the information listed about the drive. Please double check the information you provide to ensure accuracy.

Thanks, Joel

#11 GTS

GTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

I wish I could do that...But I can't get into Windows at all. The start up screen will show up and then restart to the screen with Safe Mode, etc...I get the "Corrupt or Missing" file message on that screen.

Is there anyway I can get you the information you need through the Recovery Console? That's about the only thing I can work in...

Edited by GTS, 17 February 2010 - 08:25 PM.

#12 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

What I am thinking is that your hard drive is failing. If you know or can find out the make and model number of your drive then it is possible to create and run a bootable disk to check it. Let me know what you find out. It is also possible the recovery console disk you made is missing files or is otherwise corrupt.

#13 GTS

GTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll look into that...

Do you know of any Third Party boot disks I could possibly use to try and save some of the files off my hard drive? Like I mentioned above, I tried Knoppix, which worked, but I can't find any of my Music, Video or Image files. I can see all my directories and programs that I've installed, but can't find any of my files with it. Anything else I could try?

#14 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

Apparently you have access to another computer. Therefore, you can simply remove the hdd from the failing pc and connect it to another. Also, you can try Bitfender recovery cd which uses a linux os. It's a scanner but also has a file recovery option.

http://www.techmixer.com/bitdefender-rescu...ition-features/
If you need assistance making the cd bootable let me know. If it were me I would just hook the drive up to another computer as a slave and recover my files that way. If you use that method, be sure you select move the files as opposed to copying.

#15 GTS

GTS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Nice. Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users