Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix can't be run anymore

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Calypze

Calypze

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

This is somewhat old, I should have posted it here... well, maybe a month or so ago.

In the end of the last year, I had some issues with the computer, so I posted about it at one of the other forums like this that you can find online. I got help, ran a few antimalware programs, HijackThis etc. One of these programs were ComboFix.

In the beginning, ComboFix worked alright. But it messed up the computer in various ways, which (I think) is supposed to be fixed when . But when ComboFix was to be unistalled, supposedly restoring the messed-up stuff back to normal, ComboFix stopped working normally just showing error messages, claiming that it didn't work with Vista (even though it did before). I tried to re-download it as instructed, but to no avail. I can't run ComboFix at all anymore. The helper said in December 31 that he would contact the creator of ComboFix and be back within "a few days". Now all of January and half of February have passed, and no response yet. I'm strongly suspecting he will not be back. I checked the thread today, and nope, no response.

In essence, this means I'm stuck with the computer partly messed up. What is visible is that I can't see my background (nor select one either), it's just black. In addition, thumbnails aren't working either, and images in folders have no icon (though if you click on them, you can see them without problems just a text piece below where the image is supposed to be. And these are the visible problems. Maybe there are other, invisible problems as well.

Other than that, the computer works pretty well. There is no real problem in using it.

So what I'm wondering is how I can restore whatever ComboFix has messed up. Any help appreciated. I can give a link to the topic at that forum in question if wanted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

I will alert a mod about this.

Please post the link to the topic on the other forum.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Would this be the thread: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=729999#post729999 ??

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Calypze

Calypze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Would this be the thread: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=729999#post729999 ??

Yes.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Have you redownloaded a recent version of Combofix and tried uninstall it?

For example, download combofix to your desktop and then in then run the following command:

%UserProfile%\desktop\combofix.exe /u

#6 Calypze

Calypze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:42 AM

Tried that, got the same result: An error message saying that ComboFix only works for XP and 2000 machines...

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

Do you have a 64 bit version of Vista? I know for a fact that CF can definitely run on vista.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

Download the attached getenv.bat file to your desktop and run it. Then post the contents of the notepad windows.

Attached Files

#9 Calypze

Calypze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

No, I have 32 bit Windows Vista. ComboFix worked in the beginning, but then suddenly didn't want to work anymore.

Here is the result from getenv.bat:

DELETED

#10 Calypze

Calypze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:22 AM

Why are by getenv.bat results deleted?

Also, is there no solution to this problem? Maybe I'll have to do a system restore then... which I hoped to avoid. Though even with a system restore, there is no guarantee that it will make it alright.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

I can't seem to find a solution. I am unsure what to tell you. System restore may be the best bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users