Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting Clean Install of XP Pro w/Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fudge-pants

fudge-pants

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

I recently cleaned off a Compaq Presario laptop of a badly corrupted install, etc. I am now trying to install a clean version after everything was backed up, cleaned off and then this error message when I start to do the install:

"Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer. Make sure any hard disc drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer......................etc." I understand this has something to do with the BIOS settings not being properly configured. Any help on how I can correct this and get the computer up and running again? I did a clean install of another recently and never experienced this. Same laptop, same program. Much thanks in advanced........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

You are probably running into a Hard Drive Controller Driver problem.

Your copy of Windows XP does not have the drivers to initialize your SATA controller in your Presario.

There are 2 things you can try. One, find a Windows XP CD that is at least Service Pack 2. Two, You can contact Compaq ( HP ) for a recovery CD set that has all of the necessary drivers already integrated into the disk.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Check the recovery partition.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

HP has a wealth of details on its support web site. Many of them are hidden or down unlikely paths.

Post the model and serial number of the laptop and we can probably guide you to the exact info you need.

Models later than 2005 should have a recovery partition and there is even a way to create a second set of recovery dc/dvd's even if the first set was lost.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

HP has a wealth of details on its support web site. Many of them are hidden or down unlikely paths.

Post the model and serial number of the laptop and we can probably guide you to the exact info you need.

Models later than 2005 should have a recovery partition and there is even a way to create a second set of recovery dc/dvd's even if the first set was lost.

YOu can even buy recovery cd's if needed.

#6 Guest_joelj1964_*

Guest_joelj1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

I ran into this same problem recently. I had to download the raid drivers from the mobo site to a floppy. When installing windows you will see the option to install third party raids by pressing F6. Insert the floppy and follow the prompts. This should solve your problem. Unfortunately, slipstreaming will not work since the drivers must first be loaded before windows will detect the hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users