Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Security Essentials 2010, now xp just keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chuck74

chuck74

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

Ok, so last week I got that Paladin fake anti-virus thing, I used the guides and got rid of it. Or at least I think I did as no more problems associated with it happened.

Now, just last night from a photoshop tutorials site I got this new Security Essentials one. So again I follow the guide here, malwareb, rkill.com etc. I then use hijackthis to remove some of the entries and finally CrapCleaner to clear temporary files and what not. Then I deleted the folders in the 'program files' associated with Security Essentials, and noticed there was still one on the C:drive left over from Paladin, phook.dll it was called. So I deleted all those, and restarted XP.

The computer now gets to the final loading screen, and reboots. I start in safe mode, reboots. Start in last config that works, reboots. Not one choice will allow me to fully login.

Any ideas of what I can do?

thanks

Edited by Orange Blossom, 17 February 2010 - 07:27 PM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chuck74

chuck74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Ok, I have taken care of this. I couldn't get any hlep with this subject on multiple forums. So luckily my most important files were backed up, and now I have bought a mac. Too many years of dealing with windows problems and lackluster help on any forum.

I have no illusions the mac will be problem free, but much better support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users