Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer not connecting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 churchhouse101

churchhouse101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hi, can anyone help me?
I use a wireless enabled laptop running XP Pro to connect to the internet via my home wireless network. Normally I use Firefox exclusively to browse, but occasionally it is necessary to fire up IE (e.g. some corporate questionnaire to complete). Recently IE will open but fail to connect to any internet page (including Microsoft) - I have upgraded to IE8 without this solving the problem. Funnily enough, Safari does the same (I have rarely used it anyway). The rest of the family can use IE on their computers (and Firefox) via the same BT Homehub wireless router/modem.
I don't know if it's significant, but around Xmas I had mega spyware problems, eventually solved using Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes and CCLeaner. I'm wondering if something vital to IE got scrubbed?

Sorry this is longwinded - my first post!
Ewan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

You can try a repair of IE.

Repair or Reinstall IE 8 in Windows Vista and Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Louis

#3 churchhouse101

churchhouse101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Louis, resetting IE seems to have restored function.
Cheers, Ewan

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users