Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anyone good with bit torrents?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 salshroom

salshroom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

im having some trouble with torrent programs. if anyone has any insight or one whom i can pitch some questions to. please pm me or simply respond to this thread. thanks much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:07 AM

What kind of help do you need?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

It would simplify the whole process, and not waste member's time, if you would simply state your questions or problems here on the board, and let those who have some knowledge or expertise about the problems you are having reply.
That way, moreover, other members who may have similar problems may derive help from the thread.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 urslow

urslow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:49 AM

I have often wondered if it's safe. After all WinMX was thought to be safe from the RIAA, and then poof they are gone. The thought of paying those guys a huge settlement isn't appealing to say the least. So, I stay away from them all together. :thumbsup:

Edited by urslow, 29 September 2005 - 06:54 AM.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:59 PM

Thats the problem with BT. It started out for a good cause, then no sooner you could say "Bittorent" its used for illegal sharing... :thumbsup: Why does this world got to be so cruel?

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

If it's safe depends on what you do with it.

I haven't heard of any serious security flaws in any BitTorrent Client, but then there are a lot out there, clients that is. If your just downloading linuxs distros or patches for WoW (using BitTorrent to distribute patches in WoW was pure brilliance on Blizzards side) you should be safe.

Just because it's BitTorrent doesn't make the content safe. Just because the name is "Homevideo of whales" doesn't mean it isn't loaded with spyware and viruses, in fact, as Paperghost pointed out you can't get buried in spyware from harmless looking torrents.

And if you're wondering if MPAA won't find out what your downloading your out of luck. Not only can anyone who bothers to look find out exactly what your uploading and downloading, but your practically shouting it out over the net.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users