Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lobocop

lobocop

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hi all I’m still having a real problem with my computer at the worst possible time as I really need it while I’m searching for a job, which is terrible without having computer problems! So here is mine…. Thank You!

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105 – S4284 and use Windows XP Version.

First problem was when I was powering on the computer it would get stuck. I would have to power off and try again. This problem no longer happens.

I have AVG full version and Spybot – Search & Destroy installed and I have always run scans on both these programs every night. I defrag and clean-up my hard drive on regular occasions.

The computer has slowed down drastically. When I just run one program it generally works OK but if I have more than one open the computer usage spikes to 100% and sometimes remains there. I usually have to restart the computer once it’s been on for a few hours.
When I stream movies instantly on netflix after about 10 minutes the computer slows down and the movie skips constantly. Even if no other programs are running. I have never had this problem before.
It seems like firefox’s CPU memory usage has got higher of late. It runs from about 150,000 – 250,000.

I have uploaded two screen shots with the CPU Usage running at full capacity. One with firefox and Microsoft word running. The other with nothing open.
Here’s the link to the word document:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0246d5/n/Processes3.doc

AVG has found and removed infections on numerous occasions:

Tracking Cookie .2o7
Tracking Cookie .Revsci

I got a warning about “Trojan Horse Shuer2.CLAT” from AVG it also removed this infection.

I read forums and took the following steps.

I uninstalled any recent applications I installed.

I have installed Ad-Ware Free Version
I have installed AML Free Registry Cleaner

I ran the programs and removed what ever they found.

I also ran the computer in “Safe Mode” and ran the following scans:

AVG , Spybot, Ad-Ware, AML Free Registry Cleaner. These scans found no real problems. Here is the AVGrep.txt report I got after running the scan in safe mode.

AVG 8.5 Anti-Virus command line scanner
Copyright © 1992 - 2009 AVG Technologies
Program version 8.0.431, engine 8.0.435
Virus Database: Version 271.1.1/2673 2010-02-07

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ntuser.dat Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\MiniMessage\3 Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\NTUSER.DAT.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony\ntuser.dat Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\NTUSER.DAT.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kayla\ntuser.dat Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kayla\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Lonan\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Lonan\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Lonan\ntuser.dat Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\Lonan\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Locked file. Not tested.
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\pagefile.sys Locked file. Not tested.
C:\System Volume Information\ Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Locked file. Not tested.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Locked file. Not tested.

------------------------------------------------------------
Objects scanned : 520501
Found infections : 0
Found PUPs : 0
Healed infections : 0
Healed PUPs : 0
Warnings : 0
------------------------------------------------------------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Things I would like to know:

a. How large is C:? How much free space currently on C:?

b. How much RAM installed? Generally speaking...installing more RAM makes a system more capable functioning in an optimal manner.

c. When did you first experience this slowdown?

I would further suggest that you cease installing/using "registry cleaners" as attempts at magic fixes. Rather than installing anything, you probably ought to uninstalling programs which are using system resources without any real return from such use.

Some general reading:

Slow Computer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#3 lobocop

lobocop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

The problem occurred over a week ago. It just happened out of the blue, I hadn't installed any new programs or applications, that was my reason for concern, the computer was running fine then all of a sudden the CPU usage spikes to 100% started happening. My C Drive has 68.2GB used and 24.7GB free. I have 0.99GB of ram.

Thanks for the reading material.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

When the system spikes and holds the spike...go to Task Manager and tell us what process reflects the high usage. Look on the Processes tab, then sort the CPU tab (click on it) so that it's easy to go from highest to lowest or vice versa.

Momentary spikes in usage are normal, IMO...extended/prolonged spikes may or may not be normal...depends on what the system is running/doing.

Louis

#5 lobocop

lobocop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

Here's the high usage results while its constantly running at 100%, no spikes.

Firefox 40 – 75

Avgnsx 15 - 40

System idle process 2 - 20

System 2 -10

Teatimer 1 – 2

Autobahn 1 - 2

They alternate order but this is generally the order in which they appear. firefox never leaves the top.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

I would uninstall Firefox and possibly reinstall it.

Seems that this is the second or third time in a week that someone has reported high usage with Firefox. I use IE, so I don't have any experience with Firefox.

Louis

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

There is no way, under normal circumstances, FF would be using such huge portion of CPU. Adding to it abnormal CPU usage by AVG, I suspect, your computer may be infected.

To get better picture of what's going on....
Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same high CPU usage?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

There is no way, under normal circumstances, FF would be using such huge portion of CPU. Adding to it abnormal CPU usage by AVG, I suspect, your computer may be infected.

To get better picture of what's going on....
Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same high CPU usage?

Negative, if you constantly keep it open it will continue to consume ram. If your computer runs out of RAM your hard drive will be tasked, and your CPU will go up. Also if you are viewing flash videos your CPU goes up as well. CPU Usage going through the roof doesn't indicate any sort of infection. The issue could be tied to an add-on being incompatible with the version of FireFox, a lot of toolbars running, and other things. Having to many add-ons listed can also cause FireFox to go up in CPU usage. You can also see CPU usage go up when viewing PDF files.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

A level of RAM usage has nothing to do with a level of CPU usage.
Yes, FF is know for high RAM usage, but...
If I use FF for a whole day, its RAM usage will reach even over 500MB, but CPU usage never exceeds single digit.

CPU Usage going through the roof doesn't indicate any sort of infection.

It surely is one of infection indication.
Obviously, I can't say, this is the case here, but it's suspicious.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users