Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defrag will not run / split

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mattmullin

mattmullin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

HI,

I also can not get my windows disk defragmenter to run. I have run the disk error checking function in local disk properties and tools tab, which on reboot completed the chkdsk task before the windows screen came up without any apparent problems being found.

wheni i try and launch the disk defragmenter i get a dialogue box (see attachment).

i will download one of the alt defragmenters but would like to know why this has happened. I have recently had problems with an internet 2010 malware virus, when i had to make a recovery disk in order to restore my system and believe that this is probably the reason.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.doc   147.5KB   8 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

Have you tried running sfc /scannow on your system?

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Or a repair install of XP?

It's not uncommon for system files to be damaged after malware removal efforts.

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors...which might provide clues to what is wrong?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users