Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FSB issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hey guys,
So i'm currently in the process of overclocking my budget setup which consists of an msi-neo2-fr, e5200 cpu, 1066mhz ram, and an speedy lil 500g samsung hd. So my main issue is that it seems like my FSB is restricting me from OCing any more than 3.38ghz. I've tried adjusting the fsb/mem ratio and that doesnt seem to affect the fsb speed at all. By the way i'm checking my fsb by using cpu-z once the system boots up. So anyone know the correct way to solve this?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

The FSB in and of itself doesn't limit the overclock.

Either the CPU is reaching it's limit (what is CPU voltage?), or the memory is reaching it's limit.

Adjusting the FSB/MEM ratio doesn't effect the FSB speed, vice versa it effects the memory speed for a given FSB. Get your mem divider set so the mem is running at it's lowest speed. Bump the FSB until you get problems. If the CPU is giving up at ~3.4 at stock voltage, then that is impressive. Bump your CPU voltage up a step (mind your CPU temps), and see if that helps the overclock.

Once you find a CPU speed/temp that you can live with, go back and start changing your mem divider to bump up your mem speed. The main thing when trying for an overclock is to isolate the components. Make sure your memory is slowed via the divider to take it out of the picture when finding your max CPU speed, then after you find your overclock, change dividers until you get problems and back it down a bit.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

Damn incredible explanation! Thank you very much man that's the exact info I was looking for!
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users