Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doe22

doe22

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hi Everyone.

We've got a machine here at work being used as a shared server for files. It's also hooked up to a SonicWALL router to provide the firewall monitoring software and database that SonicWALL uses. Because of this, we like to leave it on and running pretty much constantly. I've noticed that if the computer is left on for too long it stops connecting to our network and the internet. I can't say for sure how long it takes before it stops connecting, but it's probably a little over a week. Obviously this isn't good because we're trying to use it. If it gets to the point where it stops connecting I can just restart it and the problem goes away for another week or so. The only issue with this is that I'm just an intern here and only come in once a week, so if it stops connecting in between my days here, I'm not sure anyone will think to restart it or, if they do, remember the password (even though I've told them to do both).

The OS is Windows XP x64 Professional
It's a custom-built machine with four Seagate hard drives

If that isn't enough information please ask and I'll try to provide more.

I'm hoping there's some way to prevent the connection loss, but if not I'm just wondering if anyone knows what's causing it.

Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:48 AM

I'm not sure this is so much a networking issue as it is a hardware issue.

You could start in Event Viewer to see if there is an entry that might throw up a red flag. The only problem is, there is no telling if it a system issue, an app issue or what. So you might be looking for a while. But its still worth a look.

When it happens have you gone in and looked at connection? Is it disabled? Is it just easier to reboot it or have you tried other things to fix it?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 doe22

doe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

I'm not sure this is so much a networking issue as it is a hardware issue.

You could start in Event Viewer to see if there is an entry that might throw up a red flag. The only problem is, there is no telling if it a system issue, an app issue or what. So you might be looking for a while. But its still worth a look.

When it happens have you gone in and looked at connection? Is it disabled? Is it just easier to reboot it or have you tried other things to fix it?

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong section. Somebody please move the topic if that would be appropriate.

When it happens I see that yellow triangle symbol over the connection icon. If I remember correctly it says it can't connect to the internet. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable. I've also tried going into the Network and Sharing Center and poking around, disabling and re-enabling the connection. Neither of those have worked. The only thing I've found that does work is restarting it.

I don't know how to use Event Viewer. How would I go about doing that?

I doubt it's related to any applications, because the computer isn't really running anything, it's just there to serve as a repository for user files and SonicWALL database. I also c But then again I'm really no expert on this

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Do you have any idea how long this has been going on? Maybe have a look at the power management for the network card. In Device manager click the + beside Network Adapters then right click the network card and click Properties. Look for Power management. Also Power options in the Control Panel.

Event Viewer - In the Control Panel, open the Admin tools and its listed there. Start in System. Just double click on System and on the right side all the entries will be listed. Look at Warnings and Errors.

By what you said it sounds like something is disabling the connection. Just for safety I'd run an online virus scan and maybe look at running a malware scan as well. Here is a good place to get started. I dunno if its infected but ya never know.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 doe22

doe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

Thank you for the tips, I'll check on this soon and post back.

I don't know exactly how long it's been going on, but I'd say maybe 2-3 months. I can't say for sure because I've only been here for about 5 months and for part of that time the computer was disabled. When I first noticed the problem I thought it was just someone accidentally disconnecting it by bumping the machine or something, but it happened too regularly for that and practically nobody goes in the comp closet besides me.

I doubt it's infected, but you're right that you never know. I'll check that too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users