Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-malware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shyredone

shyredone

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

I currently have windows xp and am running windows explorer 8. I have AVG anti-virus and need to know what anti-malware program is compatible with that?

Also having another problem..my laptop has a built in smart card and was working fine until I had my computer worked on. Ended up having to re-install windows and now it is not reading my memory card for my digital camera. It shows an E drive if I connect my external hard drive but not when I insert the memory card.

I am not computer literate so please keep it as simple as you can. Thanks guys, don't know what I'd do without you!
Shyredone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

Both SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes...I consider these to be reliable programs and have never seen any instance of incompatibility with any reliable AV program posted on the Net.

You may want to take a look at Malware Prevention - Preventing Re-infection - The Elder Geek on Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15267. Quietman7 does double-duty at this forum and the TEG forum, he is a valued resource.

Louis

#3 shyredone

shyredone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thank you Louis
Shyredone

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 shyredone

shyredone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

One more question. Which takes up more space AVG or AVAST and which is better?
Shyredone

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

Strictly my opinion...I no longer think AVG is worthy of consideration by users. I don't normally do malware-cleaning on systems, but I have done a few computer lately for friends of friends who have no regard for proper safe computing. Each of those systems had AVG 8.5 or such installed.

Bear in mind that NO AV program...is going to be effective if it is not properly updated, properly configured, and properly used.

My preference is Avira Free.

I have, at various times, used NAV, Comodo, AVG, Trend Micro, CA, and a few others (just to see if I liked them).

I have great confidence in Avira Free, I have no experience with Avast.

Other users here do and they can give you their opinions of it.

Louis

#7 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Hope it's alright if I stick my $.02 in.

"Which takes up more space AVG or AVAST and which is better?

Can't say what AVG uses but Avast 5.0.418 is using:

Drive space = 121.38mb.
Ram usage: currently using 25.87mb, peak mem usage 67.22mb

That's with the File System, Web, Network and Behavior shields running, and the IM, P2P and Mail shields stopped.

As far as which is better, that's a personal preference. I haven't used AVG since version 7.5. so, I can't compare them. I can say a little something about Avast 5.0. It is sleek, fast, light on resources and has high detection rates. By default, it automatically checks for updates every 4 hours but, you can set it for every 2 or 3 hours if you prefer. It updates at least twice a day, sometimes more. The update times are very fast, a few seconds at best for definitions.

Right after I upgraded to Avast 5.0, it gave me a false positive, I submitted the file as such and Alwil had it fixed in less than a day. Other than that FP, I've never had a problem with Avast, it has been excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users