Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium, sites and updates blocked

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 inkworm

inkworm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:33 AM

Hi hoping I'm posting in the right place and apologies from this n00b if it's the wrong area.

I cannot at present access or update windows or the malwarebyte sites from a pc plugged into my network (the sites can be accessed via a laptop), I've managed to get an update to avg and superantispyware which don't throw up any errors or issues at all. Malwarebyte from the latest install but without any updates hasn't thrown up any errors.

Further to this I have noticed when using both opera and firefox on rare occasions in the past 12 hours since I noticed this problem that the odd link from google is redirecting to other sites but upon a second click goes to the right site.

I've checked the hosts file and that seems to be in order.

I'm at a loss at what the next step should be and would appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 inkworm

inkworm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:45 AM

Ok cheers for the help, anyway got it all sorted, seems that there was a dns changer in the registry so by running malwarebyte in safemode and doing a full scan having downloaded a manual update via another machine it picked up the errant entry.

disabling the system restore and then resetting the tcpip and then re enabling the system restore seemed to do the trick.

Edited by inkworm, 18 February 2010 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users