Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if this goes here but...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xon

xon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:17 AM

I'm looking to buy a new comp (or maybe just a new grahpics card) but everywere I look (bestbuy, geek.com, some other sites) the grahpic cards in them are not so great....the best card I've seen in a desktop for under 300-500 is like a nvidia geforce 7050 and from what I've looked up and read that card is not that good...(is it any good?)

I know it would be easier to just buy parts and build one but I know basically nothing about computers and don't even want to try. Sooo basically all I'm looking for is a cheap computer (thats already built) with a decent grahpics card and something that would be decent for gaming (nothing too crazy like crysis just mmos like WoW. pretty much games with standard grahpics) and for some basic programs I need for school (which require alot less preformance than games) and thats about it.

Right now I have

ADM Atholon X2 4450e Dual-Core
3GB memory
250GB hard drive
nvidia geforce 6150 SE

Had it about 3 years and I can barely run WoW on low settings and low res on it anymore. School stuff runs ok but barely.

So my questions are...

1. Is there anywere I can get a halfway decent computer with a decent grahpics card for say 300 to 500 bucks?

2. Would it be easier for me to just get a new grahpics card and try to put it in myself? Like I said I know pretty much nothing about computers and I know the card I have now is integrated(?) so would I even be able to put in a new card, and if I did would having just a new card even help? I've looked up some cards and it seems like there are some pretty good ones you can get for around 60 bucks I'm just not sure if I would even be able to put it in or if it would even do me any good.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by jgweed, 17 February 2010 - 10:56 AM.
moved post to more appropriate forum.jgw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

I don't game...but I've had a couple of X2 systems and I'm not sure if I would ditch that for a CPU upgrade.

I would increase the RAM to 4GB, uninstall all fluff that's taking up CPU cycles...and suggest getting quality GPU, since that seems to be the prime key to gaming performance (as I interpret it). The fact that GPUs have their own RAM minimizes the importance of upgrading your RAM...but there's really no reason to run 3GB and not 4GB today. You get the advantages of dual-channel, whereas you don't have that currently (if I'm understanding correctly).

That GeForce 6150 looks onboard to me and that's definitely a limitation for gaming. I like onboard video, but I don't game.

If this is a Compaq...lose the junk that Compaq installs also...do a clean install of XP or whatever. It impacts system performance.

Louis

#3 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:20 PM

Do you have a 64 bit OS?

If so, the cheaper option would probably be to upgrade to 4GB of RAM and installing a decent video card.
If you have 32 bit, I would just consider buying a new computer.

Finding a new comp though with dedicated video memory in the sub 500 range is going to be very challenging. You may find it best to just go with a new ASUS or HP and installing a video card into that. Most computers come standard with 4GB of RAM now so getting good stats for your dollar isn't incredibly difficult anymore.

Also, if you check some retailers refurbished section you can sometimes get rediculously awesome deals and get a monster machine for under $500.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users