Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing NTFS encrypted files after changing user password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 melobnxs

melobnxs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

I had several files that I NTFS encrypted on my Windows XP pro laptop. I recently changed my log in password and now cannot access my files. I receive an access denied error message. I really need to get into these files. I have tried taking ownership of file and changing password back. Neither worked. I can locate the key within regedit but I do not know what I can do with it. If anyone has any suggestions I would be forever thankful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

How did you change the password back? Did you do it from within the account in question or as the Administrator? If as the Administrator, try changing it back again while already logged into the account.

If that doesn't work, and you don't have either a Password Recovery Disk or a user set up with Data Recovery rights, (the disk or the user rights must have been created while you still had access to the files) then I'm afraid your files are not recoverable.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 18 February 2010 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users