Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

Hello,

I have spent a considerable amount of time googling for a resolution to the Windows 7 black screen of death. Sadly, I have not been able to find a solution on my own. I would appreicate any help with this. I've seen this before on Vista, but none of the fixes have resolved my issue.

I am not exactly sure what was done to cause this. I last used my pc on Sunday to google a few things. No updates were installed, no drivers updated. Just 10 minutes or so of googling.
Today, I turn on my pc and I get the black screen with the white mouse cursor. I have been able to bring up sticky keys and than from there open explorer. At this point I have ran Malwarebytes and NOD32 scans. All of which have come up clean. I was not surprised as these scans are ran on regular intervals.

The only solution I have found that regularly poppped up in google searches was the registry change to add NT/Authority as the data value for one of the reg keys. However, this was already set on my pc and did not need changed. I have also tried the solution Here, but I think it was just the same thing as the registry change I did manually.

I have also tried to restore the pc to an earlier time. This also did not work.

-Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

Try here: http://www.troublefixers.com/black-screen-...ter+troubles%29

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

I appreciate the response, however, the link you provided is another site pointing to the one I listed above.

http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen...sta-and-XP.html

-Thanks

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hello Techguy27,

Does the Black Screen (BS) happen on all user accounts or just yours? Also, do you have a Standard account or are you the Administrator?
Finally, does the BS occur in Safe Mode?

Awaiting your reply...

#5 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

Every account - Yes
My account - Administrator privledge
Safe Mode - Yes

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

Are you able to pull up TaskManager? If so, do the following please:

- at the black screen, select CTRL-ALT-DEL
- open Task Manager
- Select the "Processes" tab
- how many processes are running? Check to see if winlogon.exe, csrss.exe, lsass.exe, explorer.exe, services.exe, smss.exe and svchost.exe are up and running. If possible, provide a full list of the started processes.

Next, within Task Manager:
1) Click File, New Task (Run...)
2) Browse to: X:\Windows\System32\eventvwr.exe, where "X" is the drive letter where Windows is installed.
3) When Event Viewer opens, look under "System" and "Application" events. See if there are any errors within the timeframe that your problems started.

In your next reply please post:

1) The processes running in Task Manager, especially the ones I listed.
2) Details on some of the errors found in Event Viewer.

Cheers. :huh:

#7 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

I apprecaite the reply.

I sat at work all day going over the troubleshooting steps I used when I saw this on the Vista machines when I remembered how I fixed a Server 2008 box with this issue. I deleted the event logs from the system32\config folder. Wish I'd of remembered sooner. lol.

-Thank you

This issue has been resolved. :huh:

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

I deleted the event logs from the system32\config folder

Interesting...they must have gotten corrupted somehow. :huh:

I've had even stranger things happen on my box...it seems that Windows is haunted. It does things by itself that I can't explain.
Oh well, but I'm glad you solved your issue. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users