Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icon Applications Won't Run, Programs won't start

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Teach Power

Teach Power

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

I had a problem where my computer started up what seemed like normal, but without the normal programs loaded that are usually in the task bar at the bottom right. I tried to double click an icon on the desktop and a window popped up with a list of applications asking me what program I wanted to use to start the program I clicked on. This happened for all icons on my desktop, any program/application I chose from the START > PROGRAMS menu list, and any .EXE program I double clicked in any folder I navigated to through the MY COMPUTER folder. The only thing that did work was Internet Explorer which allowed me to find a small "registry fix" file that I downloaded and ran. Of course I started to freak out because I couldn't find a way to urgently run a thorough virus/malware scan by opening and starting my Avast antivirus and all other tools I use to clean and fix my computer!!!

The "registry fix" worked but I want to better understand the problem I had so I can fix it if I (hopefully never) ever run across it again.

Anybody tell me what was the problem and how to correctly fix it the next time? Thanks much for any and all help.
-TeachPower
TeachPower.net founder
Education Resource Library for the classroom & boardroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users