Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router drops connection on and off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lukin922

Lukin922

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

I have a D-Link DI 524 wireless router that I have been using now for over 2 years. Recently, the router seems to drop the connection which requires me to unplug and then replug in the router. Once I have done that the router works fine, sometimes for a few days, sometimes a couple of hours. I can't seem to lock down what exactly causes the problem, but it is just gotten to be a real nuisance. I have my desktop connected directly to the router via Ethernet cable and also use a laptop via wireless. I use the desktop most often so experience the problems with this computer more often than not.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to prevent the intermittent drop of internet connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:08 AM

Hi Lukin922. For what it's worth,I had a Netgear Router doing the exact same thing.

Unplugging had little or no effect.

I fixed my problem, by going into the Router, and selecting Diagnostics,

and rebooting from there.

Hasn't dropped my internet connection since. :thumbsup:

Worth a try,IMO.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

Routers with wireless can be affected by interference from other devices that radiate an RF signal.

My Netgear wireless router connection is mostly lost when my neighbor uses their 2.5 Ghz cordless phone.

Since the routers use the same band of frequencies as corless phones, the phone causes enough interference to cause the packets to become garbled and thus the connection drops.

Another router in the area could be on the same frequency (channel) as well.

Solution is to scan with the wireless device and see what channels are not in use by another router.

Choose that channel in the router and have your wireless device scan till it relocates your router's frequency and makes a connection.

If it is indeed a cordless phone causing the dropped connection issues, hopefully you moved off of the frequency it was using. Chances are, that is what's causing your problem because another router

is always on the air, while a cordless phone is only on air while someone is using it, which is randomly.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 February 2010 - 10:03 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users