Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get 5.1 over optical on new mobo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

I just purchased http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...mp;Tpk=p5qpl-vm and was hoping to get full 5.1 surround sound capabilities over the optical audio (spdif) output. However when I use the installed realtek software to test the 3D sound I am only getting sound out of the front left and front right speaker. The output is set to 96khz and all the settings (both in the software and in windows) say it is in 5.1 mode. My home theater receiver (Sony, can get more specific if needed) only shows that signal is being output to the front right and left speakers :thumbsup: . However if I connect an optical cable from my digital cable box I can get all 6 channels to work and have amazing full 5.1 surround sound so I know it is not the system. Can anyone help me, I'm sure its something stupid that I'm missing. Thanks in advance.
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

With reviews like those I would not touch that board!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the help?
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

What media (DVD?) are you trying to get the 5.1 from? If your source isn't 5.1 then it won't emulate (I know this is basic, but I had to say it).

If a DVD, then your software player (WINDVD/PowerDVD) might not support 5.1 output.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

I am using a DVD in VLC Media Player as well as WMP. I am only getting sound in stereo (front right and front left). I contacted Asus and they redirected me to the Klite free codec pack, then said I need a newer operating system (I have XP)... Some help they are...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users