Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Partition Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

I currently own a Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB SATA2 HDD. When trying to reformat Windows 7 Professional 64 bit it wont let me continue giving me the "Windows cannot install to this disk(show details)" message. The thing i noticed was my system reserved partition was set as disk 0 partition 1(C drive) and my actual primary partition was set as disk 0 partition 2(D drive). I believe that is where my problem lies. I just need some help repartitioning my drives so my primary is set to C and system reserved is set to D. Ive been trying to partition it proplery during the Windows 7 installation but no matter what i do it isnt set proplery. Please keep in mind im only running one HDD so this problem isnt related to RAID or anything. Thanx for any help you can provide!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:56 AM

Did your hard drive come with a diagnostic disk? if so, do you still have it? Its either a floppy/CDROM or DVD disk.

There is usually partitioning software included on those disks.

You need to delete all the active partitions on the drive using another utility seeing hows windows is not able to do it.

Partition magic works great as well. There are other software utilities out there that will delete the partitions, use the one of your choice.

If you happen to have a floppy drive, you can use one of those old windows 95/98/ME startup disks, to use the fdisk command to delete all the partitions on the drive and then let Windows format and re-partition the drive.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 February 2010 - 12:59 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

Well...I don't know what "system reserved partition" might be. Where did that come from?

The main question...what are you using as the source of this partitioning/installation?

If this is a system that came preloaded with Win 7...you have to follow the directions the system manufacturer provided...for any repair/reinstall efforts.

If this is a retail copy of Windows 7 purchased from Microsoft...I don't understand your two-partition situation.

Louis

#4 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

Windows 7 contains a system reserved partition containing the boot files including the boot manager. Windows 7 needs it in order to boot properly. My system is custom built and did not come with Windows 7 preinstalled. It is a retail copy of Windows 7. The issue is that system reserved partition is set to C instead of my primary partition therefore Windows cannot proceed with the installation since i need to install on C drive. The partitioning program i am using is within the Windows 7 installation right before Windows 7 begins installing.

Edited by GrandslammerBD, 17 February 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

Windows 7 contains a system reserved partition containing the boot files including the boot manager. Windows 7 needs it in order to boot properly. My system is custom built and did not come with Windows 7 preinstalled. It is a retail copy of Windows 7. The issue is that system reserved partition is set to C instead of my primary partition therefore Windows cannot proceed with the installation since i need to install on C drive. The partitioning program i am using is within the Windows 7 installation right before Windows 7 begins installing.

Correct, but it is not capable of deleting the system reserved partition. Therefore you need to use another partitioning software to delete that partition. Once it is gone, Windows 7 can have full access to the ROOT directory of drive C:|. It will then put the System reserve partition at the end of drive C:\ or if you prefer add it to another drive letter.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

I'm actually able to kill that system reserved partition when I want to reformat. I usually delete the main one, then the system one so I'm left with a totally blank drive with 0GB used. And this, mind you, is all through the Windows Installation environment.

To the OP: Have you tried doing a low level disk wipe with a program that can make you a bootable cd?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Sorry...my Win 7 install doesn't reflect a "system reserved partition", either from XP's Disk Management or Win 7's Disk Management.

I have the upgrade Home Premium version, dual-booted with XP (on a separate drive).

Louis

#8 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

Unfortunately i just recieved the S.M.A.R.T Status Bad message during boot up meaning my hard disk failed. Ill be purchasing a new one soon. Thanx for all the help guys!

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

Unfortunately i just recieved the S.M.A.R.T Status Bad message during boot up meaning my hard disk failed. Ill be purchasing a new one soon. Thanx for all the help guys!

Sorry to hear the bad news, but thats the life history of hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users