Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 2000 ..start up loops.....will not go into safe modes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zzz_ed

zzz_ed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

Help .....I have a win 2000 computer.... up to now has been working beautifully....today I got malware on it .....SecurityEssential2010...i went to safe mode to remove....i removed the files for Security Essential 2010 from the program file. I then removed it from the startup menu.... i then rebooted the machine .

After the computer was rebooted the Security Essential 2010 was still there.....I ran the AVG anti virus , it found many trojans . So i deleted them from the virus vault . I also ran the AdWare scan and it found one infection and said that i needed to reboot.

when i rebooted i got the trouble i have now. Described as below...

When the machine starts up and i see the "Saving your settings" sign.. then "Loading your personal settings" sign ...then the start up music begins...plays for a few seconds , then starts the sequence over again..."Saving your settings" sign comes on.. then "Loading your personal settings" sign comes on ...then the music plays for a few seconds ....over and over..like an endless loop ... to infinity.

I have tried to go to the Safe mode but it never fully moves into the mode. I must have deleted files needed to start my machine when i deleted those infected files from the AVG vault.

In any case i cannot move past the start up. Must i reformat the disk? Any help is appreciated ...Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzz_ed

zzz_ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

well... ok ...61 people have viewed my situation .....I'll cut to the chase. The start up loop was even evident when i attempted the safe mode. I have solved the problem ! go to bios ..make sure that cd-rom has the over riding priority to boot a Win 2000 or XP installation disk....shut the computer down with the installation disk ready to boot at the start up. Install Win 2000 Pro or upgrade to XP . really believe my registry was affected by the malware or virus associated with it. Oh well.....I still love Windows 2000 Pro.
And always backup important stuff. just for these lovely situations. :-)

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users